• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco Cold Air Intake Box Conversion Jeep

partsloco

I have allot of people asking me about my cold air box conversion. This cost me $30 at a Pick-A-part. Its almost like it was made for the early bronco. I created the video below to show guys in more detail about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ij8Rq1BvsE

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice. No air restriction from the TB cover?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Wonder if that would work with an Explorer EFI system?

The box and hose, not the carb/TBI adapter.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Plus I built this engine for throttle response and low end torque. This thing rarely sees any thing over 4000 RPM.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I checked out the YouTube video the other day at lunch and maybe I didn't catch it b/c I couldn't' hear too well in the restaurant.

What did you do about the core support to inner fender brace? Did you cut it out or does the new air box sit on the brace?

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

I cut out out inner fenders to help with cooling. It sits in there without any modification. I did have to work the metal a little in the fender. Its held in by a couple of screws. I guess I can create a more detailed video how it attaches to the fender.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This may be a dumb question but would this work for a 289 with a 4 barrel holley or just the EFI?

Most TBI setups use the standard 4bbl flange diameter (I forget what that is exactly) so if it fits his Holley TBI setup, it's probably just fine for a carburetor.
Might need the spacer like he's got in there (unless that's part of the hat?) and that would be a good idea anyway, as long as there is hood clearance for it.

Seems like it would work.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too watched your video & Loved it.. I used to work at DODGE jEEP sTEALERSHIP .& I always thought those wounld work .. After your video .. There was a 4BT CUMMING Poped up was that yours also.Man It's sweet ..
.. I got a user name of gitplyr43 ........69 Bronco 4BT Cummins white half cab.. SWEET!!.
MUCH NICER THAN MINE .

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Before I did the Holley efi conversion I was running this setup with an Edelbrock 1406 carb.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, just watched some more of the video and you're pretty clear about that.

Lhofkamp, maybe you're not aware, but most (not all, but certainly most) normal 2 and 4bbl carburetors use the same air-horn flange diameter, no matter what brand. So like mentioned, you should be good to go, but probably with a spacer.

It's actually one of the very few times when we can cross over one part to another and have it fit right the first time without mods!

Paul