• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco Power Steering Problem

Slugshot

Loc.
Denver, CO
Hello. I am new to the site but have own my bronco scene 1993.

I ran into a bit of a problem. I have a 1968 bronco. I installed a power steering unit in it around 95 out of a 1974 Bronco. It is a 6 turn box. It been leaking the last couple years. So I decided to do a seal kit. Well when taking it apart the stud on the pitman shaft cracked at the alen head.

So I've been asking around for a new pitman shaft. An there pretty hard to come by. Scene I don't want to spend a bunch of money. Was only planning on a $35 seal kit.

I am looking for suggestion. I was told that I can use the arm out of a scout box. But does that put the pitman arm facing forward?

Also now if I am looking to spend money to fix this problem. Is there a way to install a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio gears in to my existing box?

I have been doing research on my option. But most things I have read are how to upgrade to power steering and not upgrading the exiting box. I have seen that are a couple shop that offer upgrades to the box, But have not been able to find anything on how to do it yourself.

Thanks
Scott

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am not sure if the shafts are interchangeable or not but I have a Scout box that I am not going to use. If you need it let me know, I will sell it cheap.
Hopefully someone will confirm it works or not. Good luck.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The scout pitman shaft is the same as the Bronco shaft. The adjuster stud can also be replaced. Most saginaw boxes use the same stud. You can change the ratio by swapping in a worm and nut from a non-variable ratio saginaw bow that turns the same direction.

OP
OP
S

Slugshot

Loc.
Denver, CO
Thanks for the reply's. I found a little more info out yesterday. I can get the kit to change the warm gears to 3 or 4 lock to lock for about a $150 from Lee's Power Steering or West Texas Offroad. Both shops where very help full. And both shops have the studs for around $6 bucks.

I been sick and am really behind now here at the shop, so I'm just going to order the parts. Plus just don't think it's a good idea to go climbing around in a junk yard right now. Plus the parts will be nice and new. But if some one could post some years and make of the box that would have those worn gears that would be helpful for other Bronco owner in the future.

Thanks Again this forum has been a lot of over the years. I will try to get on more often.