• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Ford Bronco Evap and filler cap vent conversion swap

partsloco

I was tired of smelling gas in my garage and around my bronco so I decided to swap the filler neck with something modern. This also fixed the problem I had filling and having gas leak and fuel shoot back out. I also need a to vent the tank so I added a evap charcoal canister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERkIgyIDi24

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

100% happy, My truck always stunk like gas. Also filling up gas was a nightmare. I would loose at lease a cup of gas from dripping. It was also a pain trying to get the pump to stick in the filler neck.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great job loco. I'm still thinking about putting in a recessed filler opening, but now I'm not going to modify the original filler neck. I'll just get something more modern like you did.

By the way, it looked like a different truck than the one you first looked at. Is that the case, or was it the same F150 donor that gave you the charcoal canister too?

Thanks

Paul

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Well done. I didn't catch what year F150 that came from? looked like mid eighties maybe?

Thanks.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Th gas filler neck is off a first gen ford explorer. The charcoal canister is off a fuel injected mid 80's to mid 90's F150

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The truck body style shown in the pics of the canister was the '80-'86 body. But like loco said, it's probably all the way through the late nineties.
In fact, the same style, and at least similar layout of charcoal canister was used on Ford trucks starting in '76 for the EB's and likely the same year for full-size. Probably earlier for passenger cars. My '79 full-size has one.

There are variations, but most will work. Even brand new you can source several variations of the same shape and size (different port layouts). So if you had to you could get a new one.
The junkyard ones are perfectly suitable though, as long as it wasn't full of liquid.

In the old days you could "recharge" your charcoal canister by cooking it at low temp in an oven. Ok with steel canisters, but not necessarily a good practice with the modern plastic ones. Or with your family after you used the kitchen oven!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not of that nature. This is not a horsepower improvement type of upgrade. This is so you can breathe easier without the usual evaporative emissions from an open fuel system.
As far as the filler neck swap went though, he said it fixed his problems when filling at the gas station. And that would be a good thing for a LOT of Broncos.
Consider yourself very lucky if your EB does not fight you at fill-up time.

The charcoal canister is simply to catch gas vapors before they pollute the garage, get into the atmosphere, and worst of all, piss off the spouse!
So yeah, with that in mind I would consider it to have improved performance. Just doesn't make the Bronco any quicker.

Not everybody has that problem, but many do. So this is a worthwhile upgrade for them. Obviously a lot of vehicles had the basic issue even if you didn't notice it in the garage, or they would not have mandated that all vehicles have a way to capture the fumes.

Paul