• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

early vrs late 9 in carrier????

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
My nephew has just spent big $$$ for a 9 inch to be assembled with a chunk that I got from a 65 mustang .
He had a local guy assemble it with a loc right.
They wanted to go tomorrow and wheel, but he puts it in gear and the loc rite just spins and the wheels don't
I just read some crap about two different size side gears?

WTF anybody local to the Western WA got any extra side gears?
Or know whats up heere

broncoguy66

My quick guess is they installed the Lock-Rite wrong. I just put one in my Dana 30 and it wasn't hard, but there are a few small parts that if they aren't properly installed, it won't let you go anywhere. As for different side gears, the ring and pinion are matched sets. I don't believe Ford ever made a 9" carrier and housing with different offsets. And it's not your spyder side gears as those are gone to leave room for the lock-rite. If I were closer I'd help. Ain't nothing like being on opposite sides of the country.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Could be a 31 spline loc right and 28 spline axles that might be your problem if the parts were installed right. Might need to order 31 spline axle shafts

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
the different side gears are up in the front end. Up front the ring gear thickness changes between 3:73 and 3:90. The 3:90 and up carrier is thicker and uses a thinner ring gear. Thicker gears are available if you want to keep the 3 series carrier and get lower gearing.

broncoguy66

That link was great info on the different housings that the 9" came in. It's nice to know I have one of those middle '66 housings with the 'hump' and a drain plug. But they didn't say anything about the gearing.

For the OP, feitctaj, If you have someone with a 31spine axle laying around, you could try that, otherwise I think you'll have to pull that 3rd member and tear into it again. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
feitctaj

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
wrong spider gears, I gave him some from another chunk and two hours this morning before sunrise they started and got it back together and were at Evans creek buy 9, they had a great time , except for the freezing rain on top of the snow.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
feitctaj said:
wrong spider gears, I gave him some from another chunk and two hours this morning before sunrise they started and got it back together and were at Evans creek buy 9, they had a great time , except for the freezing rain on top of the snow.
You mean side gears right? The spider gears are definately replaced with the lock right. Wasn't sure if it replaced the side gears or not. Apparently not if you pulled a set from another one.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
SteveL said:
the different side gears are up in the front end. Up front the ring gear thickness changes between 3:73 and 3:90. The 3:90 and up carrier is thicker and uses a thinner ring gear. Thicker gears are available if you want to keep the 3 series carrier and get lower gearing.
The side gears in the front don't change when the carrier is changed because of ratios. The only difference in the carriers in front for this is the mounting surface for the gears is offset to allow a thicker or thinner ring gear to be installed. In the rear though the side gears need to be changed anytime the axle splines change. (This is true in front as well but changing axle splines in front is rare)

OP
OP
feitctaj

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
SaddleUp said:
You mean side gears right? The spider gears are definately replaced with the lock right. Wasn't sure if it replaced the side gears or not. Apparently not if you pulled a set from another one.
nope , spyder

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure loc rite doesnt use spider gears. So you may not have a loc rite the only traction device that uses spiders that I know of is trac loc.

OP
OP
feitctaj

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I did not look at this , he said it was a locrite and when I asked SIDE GEARS he said no- Spyder I said here is the other chunk , take what you need ,Dam I gots too many parts around here , he even got some spindles and backing plates and knuckles from me toot
he told me it was great and loved it(Loc rite)