• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EB set up for touring and expedition?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm retired and want to travel the country. In the early eighties I took several trips with my wife that were 4000-5000 mi. each in our '77. We built a deck over the wheel wells that folded out to the bottom of the passenger seat that was fold and tumbled. We slept on the deck and packed everything under it. We explored remote ghost towns and camped away from other people.
Tire selection for this type of driving is different than weekend trips to the mountains or desert. The vast majority of the miles are highway with side trips to explore. The tires I ran back then were the OE 235r78 15s. Now I have 10.50x15s, that work well on soft sand and dirt-gravel roads. The OE tires were good on the highway, but not as good off the pavement.
Is there a good compromise? What's the best suspension for long distance comfort and safety while keeping some off road ability?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Duratrac is what I have been hearing is the best all option tire.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
BFG All Terrains. Great on and off road and very good about not hydroplaning.

GRN_MEANIE

2nd the BFG AT's get good mileage from them and they are quite. They also go good in every condition.

ajportmann

BFG AT's are great in most conditions and are one of the quieter road tires.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For mostly highway ride I would suggest the Wild Horses Suspension with the Bilstein shocks for a 31x10.50x15 on a stock style wheel. Stock height if the fenders are cut and 2 1/2" maybe if the rear fenders are NOT cut.

To go along with the WH Suspension on the Highway, I would also suggest the Michelin LTX AT2 tires. Tough truck tire with very quiet highway ride and a little tread if you need it.

You have already logged a lot of long distance trips and this combo would be about as comfortable as it gets for an Early Bronco. I have had this combo on a 69 Bronco and it was VERY nice. 70 miles an hour was very comfortable and could be driven for a long time.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I've been using BFG A/T's in the 33-10.50 R15 size for a little over 15 years. I've worn out two sets of them and one set of the same size BFG M/T's (didn't last as long). This is under a truck of about the same weight as an EB, but with only 1/2-1/3 of the HP.

I have the Dura-Trac's under the CTD. I'm impressed with their traction. They're noisier on the road than the A/T's. Under that truck they're not living as long as I'd hoped for. A friend has had excellent life and traction from the Yoko A/T's under his CTD. Thinking to move the GY's to under the EB and put a set of Yoko's under the CTD.

hucklburry rev2

Toyo open country. I've had BFG A/T and thought they were terrible in the rain on a durango. I had the toyo on an f-150 and it was an awesome snow tire, and wore well on the hwy. I was very impressed with them and wouldn't hesitate to put them on another truck or mostly on-road vehicle.

97XEB

Great idea! Expedition Travel and Overlanding are becoming huge in popularity, and for good reason. When your spending weeks to months on the road, with long days in the drivers seat reliability, ease of finding replacement parts, being somewhat overbuilt for the terrain, ample room for gear / security and comfort are your top priorities. Great idea to do this in the EB and sounds like you have plenty of experience doing it. I'd recommend 3 1/2" of lift and 33 - 35s in any of the good options already mentioned.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I am happy with the BFG Mud Terrains, the All terrains would last longer. I run 35's towing a M416 military trailer on my travels. Traveling the country in an early bronco is awesome.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've gone the expedition style too. It's practical, because you won't need a trailer and truck to get the rig to the trails.;)
For tires, I replaced the floatation type like your 1050-15, and went to a truck tire. The ride and handling is a big improvement. I use a 265-75-16 with a dynamic diameter of about 32". I'd think A good compromise for you would be a 245-75-16.
Also, if you plan to use the car for trips, it's a good idea to buy tires that are a standard brand that will be available wherever you travel so you can get matching replacements when needed.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I like the Michelin LTX tires they ride extremely well and hold up to abuse well. while they are not an off-road tread per say they will pull you through the type of travel you are planning. They come in a large number of sizes. I have them on my Pathfinder. For real off road I use BFG KM2 mud tire which goes anywhere. I had BFG AT before and didn't like them they didn't wear well and road too harsh for a compromise tire.

basswipe

I have yet to get stuck in my 33x10.50x15 Toyo open country's M/T, they are great tires and handle well on the road. Plus they're narrow enough to tuck in my uncut fenders!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id run what you have for tires play with air pressure see if it makes any differance for you on the hiway. A good suspension will really help when running higher airpressures or stiffer street tires.
Of course tire choice really boils down to what your intended offroading ends up being. If nothing more than dirt roads and mild wheeling the most of the AT tires will be fine. Again air pressure adjustments will help when traction is lacking.
While I like the toyos mentioned they are really heavy tires. They weight like 8lbs more than a BFG MT and 10 lbs more than a bfg AT. I think the duratec's tend to be on the heavier side as well. That heavier weight is not good on mileage or braking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies. I did look at Dura-Tracs. They remind me of the 8 ply 16.5 tires the ranchers around hear run on 4x4 pickups, that run the fence line roads. Oddly they all seem to have 2 spares, but they are 90 percent off pavement and those service roads are all full of sharp rocks. The 10.50s are more vulnerable to cuts and punctures but my only flats were from screws and nails in town over 30 yrs. I use a 7.00x16 military tire for the spare. It's the same diameter and a lot easier on the swing away carrier. I put some thought to 215 85r16s, that are the same 30.5" but narrower. They are made for heavy pickups and may ride hard so I passed on them.
I don't have BFG ATs on it now, but they served me well in the past. So I agree with that pick. If more traction is needed I can carry tire chains. In mud, ice, and snow they work on any tire. The Rancho 5000s will likely be replaced with Bilsteins. Still not sure if 5100s or 7100s will be best. I like the rebuildable adjustable idea, but the 7100s are pricey. I've got both the OE front and Hellwig rear sway bars with about 2" lift. The WH 2" springs should keep it comfortable with good handling.
Generally I keep all the parts I can, OE or at least Ford. You know how chain parts store counter guys are. Tires etc. are common sizes. My deck was just 3/4" plywood with carpet stapled to it but a better and lighter version will have to be built.
You have to be cautious and drive conservatively thousands of miles from home in unfamiliar places. I won't be trying to get stuck.

NAK

I've had two sets of BFG a/ts and didn't like either. One on my 75 bronco and one onmy 69. Found they didnt do anything well; mud, snow rain and dry. Terrible! I have 33 inch duratracs and love them; snow, rain, gravel excellent. Mud, just ok. Handle very nice on street as well. I'm 90% street and 10% off road.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Traction is rarely a problem for me. Mud is hard to find in the west. When you do find it there won't be a grade. It's on flat ground in low places where water collects. It can be avoided most often. Ice and snow are usually a high altitude condition. A set of tire chains has worked in both situations. Noisy lugged tires are a PITA for long hours on paved roads. If I don't go with all terrain tires, I'll likely choose highway tread. Small tread with low pressure works better than mud and snow tires in dry sand. I see more dry washes than any other surface except dry dirt-gravel, once I leave he pavement. I have a high lift jack but haven't decided on the best way to pack it.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Im gonna vote for the BFG ATs as well. They arent the best in snow, but not terrible either. And thats my only complaint about them.

Aother tire you may want to look at is the Michelin LTX M/S. I know its not an "offroad" tire...but I had them on a stock 2nd gen. S-10 blazer when i took it wheelin around telluride and ouray and I was shocked how well they grabbed. They took a pretty good beating and never gave me a problem. Had them on when we were playing at the sand dunes too and they were great! Went as low as 15 psi and they held on tight. they're quiet on the highway, good in the rain and kinda sorta decent in the snow.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Michelins use a hard rubber compound that wears forever in the north east. Here in the hot dry desert, they crack badly long before they wear out. In fact this happens to most tires, but not as soon. Tire dealers here refuse to do any service on tires with cracks in the side wall.