• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ebay bumpers again

67bondobronc

Why are these bumpers not selling? These guys have had them at $375 complete and now at $200 plus $175 for tire carrier. I am in the market for bumpers so I have been watching these. Just curious as to why you guys think no one is buying these. Cost too high? Bad Design? No one needs bumpers on the East Coast?

Ebay Bumper

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I know these have been talked about before. I think that anyone with some basic fab and welding skills could make one of these. They look to be a very simple straightforward design. I know that RaginCajun and yellowrouge have built similar bumpers. The shipping doesn't seem like a bad deal though. I personaly don't like how dead center the tire is, but maybe its better that way as far as weight distribution goes

Nuke

He's in NC so I just might have to get one of those. I like the offset tire bumpers a little better plus I was thinking of getting a cooler/jerry can rack.

Hmm, actually, that design looks so simple, I just might do it myself!

sababa

Loc.
Atlanta
Bumpers in NC

I was considering buying front and rear from them as my Bronc is in NC in teardown Im just not ready yet but the price seems quite good. Anyone running the Cross Ent bumpers?

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Sababa,

Where are you in NOVA? I am in Alexandria?

Me, I am waiting for the Protofab Bumpers.

Those Ebay bumpers are JUST THE BUMPER. you have to pay extra for the tire carrier! Check out the fine print!

MnkyBiz

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
MnkyBiz said:
Sababa,

Where are you in NOVA? I am in Alexandria?

Me, I am waiting for the Protofab Bumpers.

Those Ebay bumpers are JUST THE BUMPER. you have to pay extra for the tire carrier! Check out the fine print!

MnkyBiz

What are you waiting for on the Protofab bumpers? I was about ready to order one of there plate rears with the Jerry/cooler rack and spare tire carrier, but im probably buying a Tow rig soon instead. When i talked to Protofab a couple weeks ago they said they were about 30 days out on that bumper, he said the sooner i order it the better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like you are looking for criticism, I do not mean this to be flaming, but what I see is...
It looks like a $30 homemade bumper, not a $200 bumper.
The latch on the optional spare tire carrier is simple, but looks cheap.
The red primer looks cheap.
The comments about the super frame mounting don't have any photos to back it up. Words get confusing for someone skipping through products quickly.
No photo of bumper without spare tire carrier (which is actually what is being sold in the auction). Almost comes across as deceptive.

I feel mean writing this, but that is what I see. After taking a deeper look, it appears to be a solidly made product. But for someone browsing Ebay, it doesn't appear to be very appatising so they just go off for something else.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher said:
Looks like you are looking for criticism, I do not mean this to be flaming, but what I see is...
The comments about the super frame mounting don't have any photos to back it up. Words get confusing for someone skipping through products quickly.
No photo of bumper without spare tire carrier (which is actually what is being sold in the auction). Almost comes across as deceptive.

I feel mean writing this, but that is what I see. After taking a deeper look, it appears to be a solidly made product. But for someone browsing Ebay, it doesn't appear to be very appatising so they just go off for something else.

I agree. It is worded to make you think its for the tire carrier too. Here is the Title:
Rock Crawler Early Ford Bronco Swing Out Bumper

Then it says:
This acution is for the bumper and hitch only. If you would like to have the optional tire carrier please add $175 to you payment.

If it is for the bumper than title that way. They are very misleading. Plus you could make this or have a welder make this for you in a few hours. It is very easy to build yourself.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Broncobowsher said:

I'm working on a similar bumper myself. I've got about $50 worth of steel in just the bumper, and I've got $40 into the hinge assembly. I expect to spend another $50 on steel. So by the time it's done I'll have about $200 in parts ( including welding supplies). The color is primer, most places ship unpainted since they always get damaged in shipping anyhow. The price seems fair actually.
Tom

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
Socal Tom said:
I'm working on a similar bumper myself. I've got about $50 worth of steel in just the bumper, and I've got $40 into the hinge assembly. I expect to spend another $50 on steel. So by the time it's done I'll have about $200 in parts ( including welding supplies). The color is primer, most places ship unpainted since they always get damaged in shipping anyhow. The price seems fair actually.
Tom

wow, i didnt realize it costs that much to build one. maybe that isnt to bad of a price then.

Boozer

It's funny we should mention this Bumper.........I was bored at work the other week this is what I came up with.....3/16 Stainless and then Glass Beaded it.....Turned out pretty cool, still have to fine tune a few things...This is a Hoss!!! really don't need it just liked the design......WE have a family owned stainless fabrication business so I had some stainless to spare it's un-real how high metal has got for us....almost double from a year ago....If I need beer money I can always go to the local scrap iron business it's 51 cents per pound....lol.....
Boozer

Attachments

• bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 58
  • bumper2.jpg
    bumper2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 56
  • bumper3.jpg
    bumper3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
  • bumper4.jpg
    bumper4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Socal Tom said:
Tom

I was just pointing out what it looked like to me. Why do you need a hinge on a bumper that doesn’t include a swing out tire carrier? Shouldn’t that be part of the $175 upgrade?

As for the pricing, I was going off the homemade comment. Most people who build one at home have a few pieces laying around. Personally I hit the recycle center. I can usually find a good piece of what I need there for cheap. Only when I am doing something good do I bother go out and get spec ordered steel. Yes I can see $100 wrapped up in that bumper (without the spare carrier). Not knowing what you have for brackets (no pictures) I could probably whip that out real fast. Cut to length, bob the corners with the chop saw, plate the ends, plasma (or torch) out the center for the receiver hitch, add 2 stubs to go in the frame.

You were wondering why they weren’t selling, I told you why I though they weren’t selling. You can defend it by telling us how much you spend on them. But if it doesn’t look like it is of value, you will have a hard time selling them. In person they may be great, but the photos don’t show it.

OP
OP

67bondobronc

You were wondering why they weren’t selling, I told you why I though they weren’t selling. You can defend it by telling us how much you spend on them. But if it doesn’t look like it is of value, you will have a hard time selling them. In person they may be great, but the photos don’t show it.

I am not in no way affiliated with these guys. I also don't know anything about the cost it takes to build one. I started this thread in order to find out why they were not selling from the standpoint of someone who browses Ebay daily. I need bumpers so I am looking at all my options and most of the EB suppliers are a long ways from GA so shipping always hurts when I buy big items. I just noticed that these guys put these bumpers on there all the time and it appears they do not sell. I was wondering if you guys were noticing something about them that made them not a good deal. As always I appreciate the feedback and comments. As far as which bumper I am gonna go with...................still looking at my options.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sorry, I must of misread it. I though you were making them and were looking for why you were having problems selling them. I stand corrected.

spieser

Loc.
Shalimar, FL
I got one of these when he first posted on ebay. It is very solid and well balanced with a the tire carrier. A few minor mods I made make it very quiet. No rattling spare. I am going to add some jerry can holders and a license plate mount soon. It is not fancy like the protofabs bumpers, but it cheaper as well.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I just made my own rear set-up that is alot like that. I'm a beginner and spent maybe 6 hours during 2 weeks making the whole deal. Mine works and is quiet. Alot of my design looks like his.