• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock 1826 Thunder Series AVS

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I was wondering if any body has used the Edelbrock 1826 Thunder Series Avs off road carb?I have a chance to get one that is only 2 months old, the owner went to EFI,but said he had know problems with it , on and off road.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A few people are using them. Somewhat better than a performer series still a lot of mixed reports with the AVS tho. Probably depends more on what type of wheeling you do. For the most part the thunder series is just a slightly upgraded performer series.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
That's the carb I have.As far as on road performance it has been flawless,runs great when cold,secondaries feel good. It was set up by a carb shop prior to me buying the Bronco,so I don't know how much work went into tuning it,if any. Off road travels have been limited to fire roads and beach runs,so I can't speak for the steep incline manners.
what are you replacing?

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have ran this carb for going on 7 years! On rare occasions it will stumble on the trail and obviously die out when it the Bronco is stood on the back bumper. For the most part I have ZERO complaints about the carb what so ever. The only general complaint is how low I have the floats set... Makes for 70+ mph drives a little fuel starved. It does so well that everyone I will with or have wheeled with think I am running injection.

Levi

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
miikee73 ,Its replacing a edelbrock 1406.I've read about hard, steep 4x4ing they stumble or stall. I don't do hard core 4x4ing.I've tried holley in the past on a dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 and had them stumble, but had good luck with carter in the old days on my 68 dodge charger 383 magnum, and edlebrock 1406 on my 77 ford 1/2 ton 4x4 351m400.He is asking 200 for it I think he may take 150.I was just wandering since it said offroad how much different is it from other edelbrock carbs,or not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My favorite feature of the AVS is that it has the fuel inlet ports on both sides of the bowl, letting the installer choose which way to orient it. Or, you can use one as the inlet and one as the return feed if you wanted.
Was actually going to drill out the other side of a regular Performer just to mimic the AVS.

Back when I bought my Carter you could choose "Ford" or "Chevy" for which side the inlet was on.

Paul

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I just installed one. I'm having an issue with it bogging down on hard throttle and running rough at low throttle (0-25 mph).

I bought the Edelbrock because they say that little to know adjustment is necessary. I'm not a carb guy at all and really don't know what to do to correct this.

I suppose I'll call them on Monday and see what they suggest.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Hey muskrat, I no you can adjust the secondary to open earlier or later by adjusting the spring pressure on the secondary flap,heres a you tube video that tells you how. http://youtu.be/lkj4oL5CDg0

moses_m

TTT
Anybody else running this carb? I looked on the summit page and it has several good reviews as does the holley 4160. Currently running a Eddlebrock 1407 and the swap too the thunder avs would be pretty easy.
My 1407 along with carter 4070 actually did pretty good last year at the dunes. Only time engine died was when a quad or bike would cut me off going up hill. Really dont like going in reverse down a steep dune.
Also is the Q jet that much better than both?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm taking my 1806 off and going Qjet. Tired of it stumbling at OCBR on the rocks, while the Qjets behind me are waiting.... :) Zero issues on flat ground with the 1806, like the way it runs.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I ran one, I had to turn the electric choke way down which cured the stumble and loading up issue as was described be a few. I also went up 2 sized on the rods and after that it was a great carburetor, good power and great fuel economy. Off road it worked very well, much better than my brother in law's Holly. I actually wish I still had that old carb for another project.

moses_m

Is the adapter plate pretty straight forward along with linkage if I installed a q jet on a eddlebrock intake?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The adapter is easy if you have the hood clearance. You can run an offy manifold and not need the adapter.