• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock carb to stock throttle linkage

JMBluBronc

I have seen many threads concerning the various throttle linkage to Edelbrock carb suggestions, including several that said the said the stock linkage worked well. I have spent many hours trying various combos and can't get enough movement without binding. Does anyone have photos of their setup? I have a 302 with a manual 3 on the tree tranny. I have installed the Edelbrock 1406 on a Performer manifold.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Hello and welcome.

Here are pics of mine I had handy. PO set up a lot of it so I really don't know what issues they may have encountered, it works fine for me. I also do not have my column shifter intact, as it's been moved to the floor.

Hope this is helpful.

IMG_3964_800_600.JPG

IMG_3963_800_600.JPG

IMG_1903_800_600.JPG

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have seen many threads concerning the various throttle linkage to Edelbrock carb suggestions, including several that said the said the stock linkage worked well. I have spent many hours trying various combos and can't get enough movement without binding. Does anyone have photos of their setup? I have a 302 with a manual 3 on the tree tranny. I have installed the Edelbrock 1406 on a Performer manifold.

Does your Bronco have the throttle bell crank assembly mounted on the intake manifold?

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
It looks like you have the Ford kickdown linkage adapter on the carb. Remove that and hook your linkage just below that huge hole you have the zip tie in. That should make it a much straighter pull from the firewall.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yes it does. Airmappers photos look like it is a strait shot from the firewall pivot whereas mine is mounted on the manifold.

Those bell cranks were designed to get better throttle control. They were a pain and Ford left them out later. You would be better off replacing the bell crank with the adjustable link like the one in Airmapper's photo. I just took the little throttle ball off the stock 2bbl carb and bolted it right up to the Edelbrock carb. That adjustable link just snaps on the ball. Real clean!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The bellcrank on the manifold will be a huge pain to get to work with the Edelbrock. I eventually ditched mine for a throttle cable, but I think just going from the firewall crank to the carb will work to - so just removing the portion on the intake should make things much better.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Those bell cranks were designed to get better throttle control. They were a pain and Ford left them out later. You would be better off replacing the bell crank with the adjustable link like the one in Airmapper's photo. I just took the little throttle ball off the stock 2bbl carb and bolted it right up to the Edelbrock carb. That adjustable link just snaps on the ball. Real clean!
Everyone has an opinion, so here's mine.

"Those" bellcranks were supposed to compensate for the rotation of the engine as it torques on the motor mounts. My Bronco did not have all that extra linkage and had just the one straight link, like Airmapper. But I used to get in to a bad "surging" situation when trying to slowly negotiate some object. Give it a little gas, and the engine torques over and results in more throttle than I intended. Let off the gas, the engine rocks back in place, and I get less throttle than I wanted! Over and over... !!!

Said screw it and installed a throttle cable, (Lokar) and never had another problem. Easy installation and no more surging. Still can't drive, but that's one less problem.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The AFB is lot wider than other carbs. That's where the problem starts. The Edelbrock Ford throttle lever is only for the C4 and C6 kick down rod. It's no good with a manual trans. Take it off. Put a ball stud in the small hole below and behind the large hole used on Chevies. That will greatly reduce the angle of the rod attached to the fire wall bell crank. If the engine moves enough to increase throttle to the carb you need new or better engine mounts. The fan will eat the shroud if one side lifts under torque.