• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock off-road kits: Are they worth it?

orange69

I have an Edelbrock 600cfm carb that sucks off-road. I've seen the off-road kit you can buy but is it worth the $20 bucks? Even if it helped a little I think I might try it. Anybody using it? Does it work any better? Someday I will end up putting a quadrajet on it but money is tight right now. Any comments would be appreciated.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
I cannot answer this question directly(Edelbrock 4brl), but I may have helpful info on "off-road kits" in general. I will try to keep it short. I did a motor swap 2 years ago, grabbed a 302 out of a 78 granada for the EB. It had an original ford 2 barrel on it, as did my old motor(which was puked). I ended up using the granada 2 barrel, but it was leaking all over the place, so I pulled it off the motor and took it to "Evergreen Carburators" in south Everett to have it rebuilt. The guy asked me what I was running it on, and I told him the EB. Of course, instant interest ;D. Twenty minutes later, after much talk of mud and old ford iron, he suggested an "off-road float kit". I think it was 10-15 extra.<br><br>Here's the thing, before the off road kit, Ernie would die, sputter, and cough whenever we were off camber, uphill, down hill, side hill, whatever. Since the offroad kit, he NEVER dies, and I mean, I can stand him on his nose, on his tail, or lay him over on his side, and let it go to idle, and he purrs like a tomcat. In fact, when I rolled him last year, he ended up laying on the drivers side, and I had to turn 'im OFF.<br><br>I'm sold. <br><br>Maybe it would be different with a four barrel, but Iwould think it could only be better.<br><br>just my .02 <br><br>Dan

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
I don't know for sure how much of a difference it makes because I put one in when I first installed the carb. With the kit mine works pretty well off road. But I have found that it is sensitive to tune off road. I live >5K feet and do most of my wheeling above 7K feet, so I knew I had to change the jets and rods from the beginning. The tuning instructions for the carb are pretty good, but I would advise getting the jet and rod kit as well, unless they are readily available locally. I think it's also about $20. <br><br>I have re-tuned the carb for altitude, but when I go wheeling I change out metering rods to be a step leaner (takes <5 minutes) and this makes a big difference. It keeps the engine from loading up on inclines. Overall, I'm happy with the carb. They "hold a tune" really well and I have not had to mess with it at all since I originally set it up.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
They aren't perfect but definitely help the flooding problem when on "jackhammer" trails . Been running it for 3 years .

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With the edelbrock off road you diffenitly need the off road kit and tune it for the area you run in and not just the idle screws. Out here in Southern California they are tough to run properly since we can play at or below sea level to over 8,000 feet in a single day and these carbs dont like that especially when it is hot and bumpy all at the same time. In areas of the country where you can tune to a relitively miled elevation change they work a whole lot better. Spend the 20 and keep a clean air filter with you at all times and it may work for you. if it doesn't then save some bucks and get the much better Quadrajet you wont regret it.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
If you don't have the money for the Qjet go for the off road kit. I haven't had mine up wheeling very high but I have taken it to Lake Tahoe and haven't seen much of a difference then when it is at home, about 80 ft elevation. I'll eventually go with the Qjet but it is fairly far down my to do list.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have the Edlebrock Performa on my 302 and I installed the "off Road" kit and it has done quite well. I also invested in the metering rod, spring and jet kit. I have had my EB on some decent trails and above 10,000 ft without any problems. Although its not an EFI, I can change the jetting and rods in under a minute.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I tried everything for my 1405 Edelbrock, off road kits too. Nothing seemed to work so I got a Q Jet. It was nice to be able to just drive and enjoy my day the last time I was out instead of trying to avoid bumps because I know I would stall.<br><br>

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
I just finished battling it on my newly purchased Bro-in-laws EB. I was a minute away from just ordering Chuck's Off-Road Quad, then it all came together. After installing the spring loaded needle and seat, and lowering the float level, it was hesitating really bad. I changed the float level a couple times, which helped the hesitation to some degree, then finally changed to thinner/richer metering rods, and finally, it runs really nice. I still have to dial it in for Emissions, but it seems that it can be tuned for decent Off- Road performance.

ktmrob200

I'm currently using a 1405 edlebrock as well. I have'nt added the offroad kit yet. I'm thinking of waiting for a Q-jet, but am worried about clearance problems with the adapter. I have a hood scoop now and the filter cover still is tight and slightly rubs the rear cross brace when the wheelin' gets extra bumpy.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
The first time I wheeled with a stock 1406 the second time I went it had the off road kit the third time I went it had EFI.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
The easy way to tune the Edelbrock's is to make sure you have the correct jets. Then bring your idle down a half turn. Then sell your "EB tuned" carb and pony up another grand for your Howell TBI kit ;D :D<br><br>-you knew that was coming right? ;D