• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock vs TF?

drader

I am doing some shade tree mechanics on a 302 from my restored 75. I have elected to do a performance change to increase low end torque and hp. I would like opinions on the Ebelbrock heads. I have heard great things about the TF, AFR, and World heads but very little on the Ebelbrock. The Bronco will be primary a daily driver with occasional off road. Stock gears, 33's, stock carb, jet hot coated hedmans, and Ebelbrock intake. I have read that matching carb, intake, heads and cam is important in any performance upgrade. My question is would I get a better result from a complete line of Edelbrock performance parts (intake, heads, cam) or different components (Edelbrock intake, TF heads, Comp cam). Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've seen a few test results with the Edelbrock heads and they held their ground very well. The only heads I would look at over them would be the AFR heads.

OP
OP
D

drader

Thanks SaddleUp. I appreciate your reply. I will investigate the full combination of Edelbrock intake, heads, and cam.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I think the TF do have a little better flow rate. 2Badrotties is running the edelbrock rpm heads and has no issues with them.

natureboy300

Loc.
livermore
When you do get close to purchasing some heads of whatever brand you like most, dont go overboard with intake runner size. I have known alot of people over the years that always want to get the biggest runners with the highest CFM numbers, there is nothing wrong with that if your looking to rev 5k rpms and up. For the typical bronco owner I would say 165-180cc runners are the best, with the small runners it will keep intake velcoities up and help fill the cylinders even at low rpms. Just my .02

NB

Dusty

Bronco Guru
This opinion has absolutely no basis in performance facts or comparisons between the two. But I tend to favor Trick Flow because as a company they've always seemed more Ford-friendly than the others, especially Edelbrock. Most of the other companies build everything under the sun for small block Chevys, but seem to only grudgingly offer a few token parts for Fords. Its almost as if the popularity of the 5.0 finally shamed them into supporting the Ford aftermarket. But Trick Flow always seems to develop their parts for the Ford motors FIRST, then follow it up with bowtie stuff after the fact. They really seem to be more "Ford Enthusiast" than the others. Like I said, this has absolutely nothing to do with quality and performance, just a casual observation of where their loyalties seem to lie. I know this doesn't matter much to most folks, but it does give Trick Flow the edge in my book, if all else is equal or close.

Popozuda7

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
What's goin on!! I run a full edelbrock performer package ,Carb, Intake, HEADS, Cam, double roller, roller rockers, headers (duff?) as well as 30 over bore in my 351W. I STRONGLY RECCOMEND THIS TO ELIMINATE GUESS WORK! but as for power I push between 325-375 at sea level or so I am told I kill most offroaders in the 808 if not hold my own. I am very satisfied with this and by the way I DAILY DRIVE 7days a week I say Go for it with performer heads !!!!! by the way the edel tech has given me great service on questions as well as concerns, but this is just my stand point, also my previous heads were ford racing full sterlite seats/ valve job blah..b;ah..b;ah... Zuda.......

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All 3 heads you mentioned are very good choices and put out the highest numbers and are usually within 10 HP of each other. I run TFS heads on my 302 and I'm very happy with the performance had them on about 10 years now with close to 100,000 miles on them. I went with them because they were cheaper and put out better numbers than Edelbrocks. But to do it over again I would probalby go with heads that have 1.90/1.60 valves as the 2.02/1.60 valves of the TFS are probalby a little overkill for a 302. but a 351 may be in my future so they will be perfect.

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
One thing to consider is this- the Edelbrocks can be purchased set up for pedestal type rockers or stud mounted. Trick Flows are only available in stud mounts.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
As Ken75ranger said, I have edelbrock heads and I love them. I bought performer rpm with the smaller 1.94 and 1.60 valves because the 2.02 intake just won't make a difference in a mild build up. I used Dart heads ( world products / roush heads ) in the past and these edelbrock heads are WORLDS apart in quality. They are very nice in the bowl area and the ports are cnc machined already to the gasket sizes. I would reccomend them to anyone :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been running trick flows since '98. I would recomend NOT getting the O-ringed grooved heads. That has been my only issue. Very impressed with them. At the time you could get them in stud and pedistal. I think they dropped the pedistal because it was not well liked. What people were looking for was upgrading, so everyone went stud. The trickflows did require longer pushrods. But the raised valve cover flanges allowed stock valve covers to fit. Gets a little tight with a 351.

As for the Edelbrocks, I know 1 person who personally has them. Still has not fired the engine yet (still needs to build it)

ugly74

Bronco abuser
since it's just a mild 302, I'd save my $$ and get a set of 69-70 351w heads.
it's about the best factory casting out there. with a few hours of port and bowl work, they're good for 500hp (believe it or not)
even stock, they'd be more than enough for that 302, with minimal sacrifices in driveability.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I;m running a set of the C9O 351W heads on a 302..with a fair amount of work done to them including porting, bowl and unshrouding, and 1.9/1.6 valve size upgrade. Plus they are machined for studs, guideplates, dual valve springs and postiive valve stem seals. By the time you take the cost of the used C9 castings (getting harder to find), add up the costs for parts and machining of everything I outlined above, including ss valves, springs, retainers, studs, guideplates,,yada yada AND then add in the cost for installing hardened seats..those $570 each Edelbrock 170cc full-assembled heads are a dcent deal. Not to mention that there is the benefiit of being able to run higher compression and/or lower octane fuel with the aluminum head vs the iron head.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto if you have 69-70 351 heads laying around then I'd use them but the amount of work and money it takes to get them upgraded could be used for aluminum heads that will still out perform them right out of the box

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lets see. Find some C9 heads. Then find some more that are rebuildable.
Work them over. Hope you don't make a mistake. Somehow you actually get the ports to flow evenly. replace all the bad parts. Machine them.

Or for the same money get a known item out of the box. What is better? I have a '70 351W. Heads went away to someone who thought they would be great on a 302. I turnd around and put on my trick flows. I can run 11:1 compression with an RV cam on 91 octane pump gas. Don't even consider that with iron heads.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
it was just a suggestion. they are getting harder to come by, but I already have a set, so I aint gotta worry about it.
Edelbrock does do a good job of maching all their components to work together.
There's a place in Denver called Blue Oval Performance that uses nothing but World Products heads.

how 'bout some Australian 2v Cleveland heads? those are easy to come by, and real cheap, bolt right up:-* %)