• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI conversion issues!!!

whitts end

So I finally got my late model 5.0 to start and run but when I go to put it in gear(its an automatic C4) it dies or backfires and dies. So I rolled it out in the street and gave it throttle enough to get it to drive but it shifted all weird and really didnt feel right. Both the tranny and transfur case were re-built about 3 years ago and have since been filled with fluids and ran. Then the Bronc just died, it stalled out not to start again so I pushed it back to the garage to find one of the 15 amp fusses(1 of 2) on the aftermarket Ron Francis EFI harness I have was blown so I replaced it only to watch it blow as soon as I turned the ignition on!! What the Hell???!! It's been starting up fine this whole week! I bypassed the neutral safety switch so that may have something to do with it and I know my shift linkage needs adjusting but how? I am lost now and eager to drive this restoration of 5 years. PLEASE HELP!!! especially if you have delt with a Ron Francis harness.
so close but yet so far!
Thanks as always.....

OP
OP
W

whitts end

no spark

the fuse is wired to the relay which controlls the coil / TFI modual. I checked the plug at the #1 cylinder and there was nothing but I have batt. voltage when the ignition is on at the TFI modual and at the coil??? I'm using a 25 amp fuse in the 15 amp's place for the time being. So yea, there is no spark and I don't know why?!!

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
My EFI system ran well on my 302. Recently I completed an engine swap and the fuel injection system didn't seem to be running well at first. After some investigative work I realized that the harness kept blowing a fuse every time I turned the key to the start position. Finally tracked it down to the alternator. I had swapped out my old 3G alternator with a v-belt pulley for a different 3G that had a serpentine pulley. Something about the new alternator caused the fuse to blow every time. I swapped pulleys and put in the original 3G and it solved the problem.

OP
OP
W

whitts end

the fuel system is working fine and I'm using the origional alternator with V belts I still have no spark though, I dunno!