• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Conversion...It runs!

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Spent a long time in my friend's shop this weekend. I finally decided to do the EFI conversion. I've had most of the parts in my garage for a couple years. I acquired them along with the '72 I bought. Most of the EFI parts were there. It took much longer than I anticipated. I thought I'd have it running on Saturday.

I started preparation over the winter. I cleaned all of the injectors and intake. I put new pintle caps and o-rings on the injectors. I had to soak and free up the injector needle on one. Had to vacuum out the mouse nest inside the upper intake from being in a shed at the guy's house I bought it from. I also cleaned as much of the chrome injector rail as I could. It had rust spots starting.

I few months ago I started searching for a computer to use. I ended finding an 8LD in South Dakota on Ebay for $150. 8LD is the manual transmission California mass air computer.

Last weekend I masked off and painted the upper and lower intakes. After work during the week, I had the stock Mustang wiring harness spread out in the living room and moved all of wiring around to fit the Bronco. I also ordered the oxygen sensor harness piece. I didn't have one with all of the parts I received.

Friday I started pulling off all of the carburetor parts. I had the old intake off, and the new lower intake and gaskets all installed on Friday night after work. All was going very smooth and I figured I'd be able to fire it up Saturday afternoon.

On Saturday, I made slow progress hooking up things. An issue I was hoping to avoid was my valve covers. Test fitting on Friday, I knew I would need different ones. The oil fill on the driver's side just didn't work with my setup. Lane Automotive is about a 15 minute drive from my house, and has any speed parts you can think of. First thing Saturday, I drove up there and bought new valve covers and new spark plug wires. The Duraspark distributor has the older style cap, so I couldn't re-use my wires. I swapped the valve covers and put the new wires on. Even with the new new valve covers, the one vacuum "T" fitting had to be removed and plugged. It barely rubbed on the valve cover on the driver's side. I routed all of the heater hoses. Put thread sealant on all of the necessary sensors and bolted them into the lower intake. Installed the throttle cable. Installing the throttle cable bracket, I realized the oil fill cap wouldn't fit with the bracket. The one I bought for my '94 Bronco was much smaller and fit with no issue (I bought a generic replacement for the '94 when the stock one broke). I also got all of the vacuum lines routed, and the injector harness on.

Only three trips to the store. Lane in the morning, and in the afternoon to the hardware store to get a brass plug that fit the vacuum fitting I took off, and O'Reilly's to pick up the new vacuum regulator for the EGR (I'm running the EGR, but no other emissions). Later, I went back to the store to get high pressure rubber fuel line. I was going to use nylon for the high pressure hose, but it ended up more trouble to work with than the rubber. I tried a location on the passenger side for the high pressure fuel pump. Getting tools in that location to drill and mount the pump was not going to work.

That was as far as I got on Saturday. It was about 8pm, and I hadn't eaten any dinner, so I called it a night.

On a side note, I picked up my parents '05 Expedition Saturday morning. My dad is going to sell it to me. I wanted to drive it around a bit and figure out what was all still wrong with it. One trip to the store and back and the front driver's brake caliper seized. It also has a misfire on cylinder 7, so it runs like crap. Limped it home and got the '94 again. Bought a new caliper and a spark plug while I was at the parts store. Dad has some coils leftover for it. He has the extraction tools for the plugs too. Hopefully I won't need it. Plugs were all replaced already. Another project...yay... I really want it though. It will tow better than my lifted '94. I'd like to take my '68 places to wheel, so an Expedition would be awesome (and I can't beat the "family price").

Today was very good. After church and lunch with my parents and family, I got the fuel lines run and pump installed pretty quickly. Double checked all of my fittings and tightened down the upper intake. The rest of the afternoon was spent finishing the wiring. I didn't know how long to make all of the leads for power, ground, etc., so I left them long when I laid out my harness. Wired in the relays, fuses, power, and grounds. Tucked most of it into the loom and started prepping to fire it up. Checked the oil again, filled with coolant, hooked up the battery, etc. I had my friend start checking for leaks. I started with just the key in "run" a few times to fill the fuel lines. Note: Before I started everything, I set the engine on TDC for #1 so that the distributor was easy to install. No fuel leaks, so I fired it, and it sputtered a few times before dying on the first couple tries. I figured the timing was not advanced enough to run. Bumped up the advance and got it to idle! Found the timing light, pulled the SPOUT, moved it to 10*, and it runs like champ!

I'm very happy that it is all together. Very relieved when it fired up and ran! I was worried about the Ebay computer (although it looks like it has not been opened or modified at all), the TFI module on the distributor, and leaks in general. No leaks (yet) and all of the electrical seems to work. I also have a custom cam in the engine. The computer doesn't seem to mind. ;)

Still left to do:
-Permanent mount for the E-coil
-Permanent mount for the computer
-Drop exhaust and weld in O2 bungs
-Install the O2 sensors
-Figure out where to put the air filter so it clears the hood
-Hook back up the rest of the Bronco wire harness (water temp gauge, radio, horn, CB, 12V outlet)

Thanks to:
Lane Automotive (for having the hard to find speed parts, locally) http://www.laneautomotive.com/
BC Broncos for the throttle cable and bracket http://www.bcbroncos.com/
EFI Guy for answering my questions
The now defunct fuel injection website (which I saved every page locally to my computer some time ago)
Everyone who's documented the wiring for the stock '88-93 Mustang. I also have a PDF complete with photos of all the pins for the stock Mustang harness. I'd link it, if I could find where I got it from. http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordEFISwap.htm
Bronco Graveyard for parts http://www.broncograveyard.com
All of the awesome color wiring diagrams for the computer wiring. http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

Source for parts:
8LD Computer - Ebay, $150
EFI intake manifolds, harness, misc parts - previous '72 owner, got with the truck when I bought it.
O2 sensor harness - Late Model Restoration http://www.lmr.com $90 (ouch, should've made them myself)
Mustang cold air intake - http://www.americanmuscle.com, $60
Two O2 sensors - http://www.americanmuscle.com, $80
LP fuel hose, heater hose, HP fuel pump, relays, fuel line clamps - Amazon.com ~$100 (bought awhile ago, I don't remember what I paid for it all)
Locally sourced: Plug wires, Valve covers, gaskets ($300), vacuum lines and connectors, EGR Vacuum regulator, heater hose 90's ($40), 1/4" and 5/16" HP fuel hose, 16ga. wire, brass plug ($50), all stainless hose clamps (get them in the plumbing section) various sizes ($20).

I think that's about all I needed.

Anyone have a name plaque that goes on the upper intake?

Pics to follow...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Before

885951a0ca9bcee190a2ceea1220bd72.jpg

43c204deb716b14aa36a3d74d9e2ea0f.jpg

After:

5b9e768d4474f32d7208f87f7b6cbebf.jpg

40d894a0a002c13e123c0cb372cb61bd.jpg

a0933a44007c63498af8ad5ae8842b1d.jpg

https://youtu.be/NzglFH30sGU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Nicely done, you won't regret it. I'll never run a carb again. Two thumbs up!!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Nice! I love the feeling of the first start after major surgery.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Once you drive it, let us know how it compares to the Motorcraft 4bbl you had on there.

Joe473

Once you drive it, let us know how it compares to the Motorcraft 4bbl you had on there.
X 2 on this. I'm running the autolite 1.12 on a 347 right now and very pleased but curious how much of a difference there is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
X 2 on this. I'm running the autolite 1.12 on a 347 right now and very pleased but curious how much of a difference there is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'll never claim to be an expert on tuning a carburetor. Mine ran rich. It idled rich. It would run to 4000 rpm no problem, but felt hesitant to go beyond that very well. Now, it races all the way to 5000 rpm with no issues.

With better timing and fuel control, I also expect to run mid-grade fuel (89 octane) instead of 93 octane all the time.

Basically, I don't feel like I really know what I'm doing with the carburetor. I have no way to validate what I'm doing is "right", other than by sound, smell, and seat of my pants. I just don't have the experience to know, or a local "expert" who can help me tune it better. With EFI, I don't worry about it.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I put a wideband in mine and dialed in the stock carb.

As good as any carb could be dialed in (even with annular boosters), it will never match the atomization of a fine spray from an injector.

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Latest updates...

Mounted the computer behind the dash today. I don't have a glove box, so it fit great in that spot.

Found a 90 elbow at Autozone to move the intake out of the way.

Mounted the coil and cleaned up more of the wiring.

f7d9b8ef809595be20af1b48b881f012.jpg

Hooked up the MIL and checked codes. I seem to have a bad BAP sensor. Found a NOS one and ordered it. I'll check my current one with a scope at work on Monday if the weather is good. 5 volts checks out, but I don't have a scope or frequency meter at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk