• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI cutting off randomly

first timer

Got my efi finished the other weekend and it drove great the first few times. Now it seems to stall while driving. If I am still moving, it will "push start" itself back to life. If I am stopped, it will just cut off.

It is not chugging like fuel starvation or losing rpms, it is just cutting off.

My guess is either the distributor needs to be replaced or the TFI module. Are either of those the likely culprit?

Everything else is seems to be running great!

70_Steve

Old Guy
The only thing in the distributor that would need replacing is the sensor (hall effect switch) No sense replacing the entire distributor for that.

The TFI module is usually affected by temperature. Not to say that it couldn't be that intermittant, but it would be unusual.

Sounds more like an intermittant wiring connection.

OP
OP
F

first timer

wiring was the other rabbit hole I was thinking I may need to go down. The distributor is under warranty so it would be free to return it and get a replacement.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would check wiring. I would start with the GRND and make sure they are all clean and connected good, this is what it sounds like to me.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
what ECU do you have. may be the computer thats what happened to me, there was a fried spot on it and caused all kinds of gremlins

ransil

Bronco Guru
start jiggling wires & connectors while its running and see if you can get it to cut out.
Check relays bang on them with the back of a screw driver.
check the Computer for pushed pins or broken pin locks.

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
If the distributor is under warranty I would start there. Same thing was happening to me and I swapped the dizzy is all is good now. Mine was a re-manufactured from autozone.

gclauson

Contributor
You should also pull the codes to help pinpoint what the ECM thinks is failing.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
had the same thing happen, ended up being a loose connection. check all your connections. mine only did it when i hit a bump, but main power was loose at the battery.

OP
OP
F

first timer

was hoping to work on it this weekend but the wife had other plans. and I'm gonna be gone all week next week. might be a few weeks before I get to it.

It's an a9s,. I have code 67 Koeo so I can't pull running codes.

thanks for the places to start. I may bump this thread in a few weeks when I can get back out there