• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

efi donor vehicle

TheLimeRanger

okay, so im looking to put fuel injection in the old bronc. out my way, 87-93 mustangs that arent beat to hell are hard to come by for little $$. so im wondering what the difference in 5.0's was between the grand marquis/crown victoria, and the mustang. if its close to the same, then that should work. i dont run a trail rig, im all stock, just want FI.

thanks
Scott

1971sport

Loc.
Kingman AZ
I am going with a 89 lincoln towncar because parts are plentifull and the computer is on the drivers side fire wall .It also has the main conection bolt through the fire wall like the truck harness .The calibration is set to move a land yacht with all kinds of low end torque.Eaven though it is a map sensor set up it is easy to work on and install cost less than half of a maf system the lincoln mark 5 has the same setup as the mustang right down to the factory headers

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
The grand Marquis and crown vic motors are not HO and not MAF. They both will work in a bronco with slightly less HP than the Mustang HO. Because there not MAF it is difficult to get them to run right if you make performance mods like cams heads etc. They can easily be converted to MAF using a mustang or aftermarket harness Like the ones from Fordfuelinjection.com (check out this site there is tons of good tech info).
The early 5.0 mustangs 86-89 (86-88 in CA) aren't MAF either.
You can also find 5.0 HO non-MAF motors in Lincoln Mar VII, but there harness is hard to use.
Explorer's also have good 5.0 and a better serpentine system but to make the install easier most people run the mustang computer and harness.

OP
OP
TheLimeRanger

TheLimeRanger

thanks for the advice.....im planning on leaving her stock, so mods arent a concern. im going to check out that site, thanks!

btw, is there a 4 wheel drive version of the aod? or would i be able to use the aod out of the crown vic?

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
thanks for the advice.....im planning on leaving her stock, so mods arent a concern. im going to check out that site, thanks!

btw, is there a 4 wheel drive version of the aod? or would i be able to use the aod out of the crown vic?

I did a lot of reasearch and went with an Explorer 5.0L with 4R70W for the following reasons:
1) I wanted a matched set hoping that I could use the stock computer for both engine & tranny. Turns out that that may not work but haven't got her running yet to tell.
2) Wanted the Explorer 5.0L cause it fits the EB engine compartment nicely and uses a serpentine belt.
3) Wanted the 4R70W because of it's lower first gear. AOD can be built with the lower gear too but doesn't come stock that way.

See fordfuelinjection.com for exhaustive info.

Good luck.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I pulled motors from 2) 91 Lincoln Mk VII's and 1) 93 Cougar. A lot of visual differences between the two. But wiring isnt that hard to make work on either. Both have a ton of extra wires int he loom that become donor pieces for the conversions. Main external difference between the stock and HO motors is direction of throttle body. If staying mostly stock, it really doesnt matter what year donor you choose on the older stuff. All of the ecms work well with the given engine intended for. There is plenty of 88-93 non Mustang cars that should work great. Since there is only slight variations in the complete motor assemblies, its not so important that you get caught up in the "Mustang Only" donor parts. For a stock setup, either standard or HO donor, I would favor the speed density setup myself. Just one less problem to work the bugs out of. So whatever comes your way thats in your price range. I have seen many complete running perfect donor cars on Craigslist for next to nothing. So Ford or Mercury, anything with a 5 liter will work.

OP
OP
TheLimeRanger

TheLimeRanger

okay i think i need a shove in the right direction ...speed density? or maf? whats what, and how do you tell the difference?