• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Egr delete on 289

broncobran68

Loc.
Idaho
What all needs to be done with the EGR on my 87 5.0 HO intake on my 289. Will simply unplugging the Egr work or do I need to do something else. I remember something about a diode. Will not doing this cause limp mode.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I would remove the entire egr plate (In 87 it should be sandwiched between the Throttle body and the intake) and then use a resistors to send the right egr position signal back to the ecm. Without the delete resistors it will think it is open when the correct signal it should be getting is instead closed.

OP
OP
broncobran68

broncobran68

Loc.
Idaho
Any idea what size resistors to put in. Can I just leave the whole the plate and valve setup on there.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
broncobran68 said:
Any idea what size resistors to put in. Can I just leave the whole the plate and valve setup on there.
Yep. There is a diagram here. (About 2/3 of the way down the page)
http://fordfuelinjection.com/harness.html
I picked up my resistors at radio shack. I doubt you'll find the exact resistance without adding them together in series though. I.E. A 250 plus a 120 in series is 370. (Don't add them in parallel since that would actually reduce resistance) Watch out for the K though as it represents X 1000 ohms. (If you know all this already then great but I added it anyway even if you do in case others read it as well that don't)

You can leave the plate on but I would at least disconnect the coolant lines. They will add heat to the intake that isn't needed. (The cooler the air is coming in the more dense it will be) You'll also want to pull the egr valve itself off and put a plate over the opening. Otherwise you can end up with a vacuum leak there. (You might be able to just cap the end of it as well)

OP
OP
broncobran68

broncobran68

Loc.
Idaho
I knew I saw it on there but I couldnt remember where. I didn't run the coolant lines in the first place because of the heat issue.
Thanks for your help