• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Fuel Pump Question...Possible Pump Failure

stock74

My Bronco has been starting and running well and maintaining good fuel pressure. However, the other day when I went to move the Bronco from the driveway into the garage it would not start. I have an fuel pressure gauge mounted in the cab (has an electric sending unit). I noticed there was no fuel pressure and around the same time noticed the fuel pump was not making any noise when I turned the key to the run position.

At this point I checked the fuses and relays which checked out just fine. Then I verified the connections at the pump are good and 12 volts is momentarily being supplied when I put the key in the run position. The pump is external and mounted on the frame rail so I decided to hit the side of the pump a few times with my hand. After hitting the pump it started working again and the engine and fuel pump ran fine.

Is this a sign of the fuel pump going bad?

Thanks for your help!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Well, it ain't a good sign. Check the power connection and ground.

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
It could have possibly been a piece of debris that you knocked out. But I wouldn't wait to replace it. My luck it would leave me stranded.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
It's one of two things. Bad pump or connection. If the pump is grounded through the frame double check that connection.

OP
OP
stock74

stock74

Those are pretty much the same conclusions I came up with. Sounds like I am looking in all the right areas of concern. After I got the pump working the other day; I tried wiggling the connections on the pump and the ground wire on the frame neither of which caused the pump to die. I will try to investigate this more on the weekend. Thanks for the help!

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Or like me, it's a sign that your tank is out of gas. I went through all of what you are saying last week. Then, finally had a brainstorm and decided the tank was emptier than I thought. Add a couple of gallons, and, vaarrooom!