• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI gurus

maverickconner

Ok so here is the project. I have a 351w (89) that I just mated to a AODE case (4r70w internals). I have a wiring harness out of a 97 explorer 5.0 with a couple of computers. I also have a harness out of a 94 thunderbird 5.0, no computer. I was going to use the explorer harness but one thing stands out, I'm not sure what year they went to the cam position sensor. I have the TFI distributor for the 351W. I have built a few of the harnesses before even for the 460, but what is the easiest way to go.

Seems like I should use the thunder chicken harness and get a computer to match.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Cam position sensor in the Explorer was 96-01, basically the whole run of the 5.0.

I am going to bet that the T-bird harness was speed density, so no MAF...

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
The T-bird EFI will be easier, and as you point out you can use a 351W EFI distributor.

To use the Explorer parts you'll want to contact Garry The EFI Guy to get the ECU's re-flashed, and follow his guidance on modifying the harnesses. The Explorer system requires a cam synchronizer. The Explorer 5.0 synchronizer won't work, but a Windstar 3.8 synchronizer will work in the 351W with an adapter that Garry sells, and an oil pump driveshaft from a 351C/400/351M.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

the Tbird is mas air, double checked to make sure. I've done a Tbird/cougar 5.0HO swap before. XR-7 are my favorite because of the short water pumps.

Lars- very good info, I'll check the windstar stuff and contact Gary. That would be a cool setup.

Thanks guys.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They do make a cam position sensor for the 351. I think it is adapted from the 3.8 V6.
Just off the top of my head, Price motorsports. Probably other options as well.
Now run the Explorer computer.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

Talked with Gary the EFI guy

3.8 windstar synchronizer, an adapter he built and going to have him flash my computer. He said to use the explorer harness for sure

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Garry is a great guy. Incredibly helpful. I don’t know how he gets everything done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JKH67302

Contributor
Agreed! I cannot say enough good things about Garry. Great guy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk