• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Guys harness to overdrive momentary switch

71 CA Bronco

OK just throwing this out there hoping some of you experts can guide me. I think I have everything figured out but the momentary switch on my Explorer swap wiring. I am running a 1996 Explorer 5.0 4R70W and Garry's (EFI Guys) harness.

I ordered this switch from Keep it Clean wiring. The directions do not match the switch. Not even close.

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/c...-LED-Aluminum-Billet-Button-Silver-Illuminate

Garry's harness has two wires coming out for the Overdrive:

1. Tan wire with white stripe – OD Lockout – Momentary switch in cab
2. White wire with Green stipe – Overdrive off light in dash – Grounds bulb other side hot.

I have no idea how to wire this switch and want to prevent frying anything. Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Pictures

Pictures attached

Attachments

• IMG_1134[32473].jpg
    IMG_1134[32473].jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 94

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I want to say that you apply ign power to one side of the switch and the other side goes to tan white wire...

I am in Idaho for the weekend and my notes are back in CA. I can confirm Monday evening, if no one else jumps in... Doug

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

I want to say that you apply ign power to one side of the switch and the other side goes to tan white wire...

I am in Idaho for the weekend and my notes are back in CA. I can confirm Monday evening, if no one else jumps in... Doug

I would certainly appreciate the help. Called the manufacturer and so far crickets. I could probably figure it out if it had a diagram. No such thing. Apparently this is the new and improved switch but with no diagram its not much use. I guess I could just start touching wires together and cross my fingers that I don't fry the internals. ;D

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I would certainly appreciate the help. Called the manufacturer and so far crickets. I could probably figure it out if it had a diagram. No such thing. Apparently this is the new and improved switch but with no diagram its not much use. I guess I could just start touching wires together and cross my fingers that I don't fry the internals. ;D

Check for the momentary function of the switch with an ohm meter. If that’s actually a momentary switch, two of the wires should show continuity while the button is being pushed.

Mark

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
By the way, did you buy the plug with the pre-wired pigtail? lots easier to wire than soldering the wires to the switch lugs...

Home with a wiring response in a few hrs... Doug

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Check for the momentary function of the switch with an ohm meter. If that’s actually a momentary switch, two of the wires should show continuity while the button is being pushed.

Mark

Thanks Garberz. I'll give it a try. I've never done ohms just volts. Its a little of a mystery to me.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

By the way, did you buy the plug with the pre-wired pigtail? lots easier to wire than soldering the wires to the switch lugs...

Home with a wiring response in a few hrs... Doug

Yes pre-wired pig tail. Just no directions or diagram given. Thanks for the help Doug. I'm getting really close to firing this thing up.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just make sure the pre wired is solid, I had a no start issue with a pre wired rollover switch which had pulled out of its electrical connection unbeknownst to me.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Mark and Doug, we are in a similar place with our 4R70W. Need switch for OD on/off. Is the switch 71 CA Bronco has what we need or do we need an On/OFF switch that bypasses the USShift control box? If so how do we wire that?
Thanks, Mark, Gaucho Marks Racing #66

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sorry for the Delay...

What with Marshall Law declared here in Santa Clara County and we are staying home, with limited reasons that you can leave the house...%) And people being stupid hoarding supplies...

So the Auto-loc switch I have has 5 contacts, had to get a magnifying glass to read the back with my approaching 60 y/o eyes.

Center contacts are marked (+) and (-) for the led light

Side contacts are marked "C", "NO", "NC" for the switch
See my spectacular drawing attached! Confirm your switch is the same as mine too.

For EFI Guy wiring I have: and since it has an LED illumination...
White green stripe wire goes to (-) side of bulb
Power while running goes to (+) side of bulb

Tan white stripe wire goes to (NO) contact
(C) contact gets power while running to it
(NC) is not used. Tape over/shrink tube it

Hope this helps. Doug

Attachments

• Auto-Loc Button switch.jpg
    Auto-Loc Button switch.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Well, well, well. Look what I received after a lot of yelling and screaming. Even though the "new" diagram is labeled wrong (closed is actually common).

Thanks guys. Makes perfect sense now.

My switch is a bit different but after Doug's description I am seeing the light.

My switch is the 16mm in the photo. Its a newer version of the same. This is how it should be wired:

LED (+) and Common = (+) Switched power in (I imagine they can be tied together)

Normally Open = Garry's Tan/white wire

Normally closed = Not Used (seal off)

LED (-) (my switch has two colors blue and green pick one) = Garry's White/green wire provides the ground (-) and goes to which ever color you want to light up. Seal off the other unused contact.

Done. Just call me "Sparky". ;D

Attachments

• Momentary Switch Wiring.jpg
    Momentary Switch Wiring.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hey Mark and Doug, we are in a similar place with our 4R70W. Need switch for OD on/off. Is the switch 71 CA Bronco has what we need or do we need an On/OFF switch that bypasses the USShift control box? If so how do we wire that?
Thanks, Mark, Gaucho Marks Racing #66

Haven't played with the USShift box Mark... But I assume that it would be just a momentary on switch not a on/off.
Wouldn't the USShift box control the OD function?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes the the control box does. We’d just like a switch to lock out that’s easy to reach during the race when bouncing around. Sometimes it’s hard to see the box let alone touch the button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes the the control box does. We’d just like a switch to lock out that’s easy to reach during the race when bouncing around. Sometimes it’s hard to see the box let alone touch the button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, given those circumstances, or flying down a dirt road at 100 mph... a separate switch, in easy reach, would be desired. My experiences talking with US Shift were good when I had one of their units, prior to going with EFI Guy and doing an Explorer conversion. maybe it could be as simple as a harness mod?

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

If anyone is using this information. Note: I fixed a typo on the last sentence.

LED (-) goes to Garry's White with green stipe wire. I had it as LED (+).

Its fixed now and the drawing with chicken scratch is and has been accurate.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
The switch doesn't have to be momentary. It can be an on/off switch. That's what I've run for 12 yrs now. Also shows in US Shifts line drawings. Good luck, you'll like the trans and controller combo.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, good to know. I'll double check the drawings.
Mark