• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI- rob a gas tank module, fuel pump everything from F-150 or ? Who's adapted one...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So why not take a complete (fuel pump hanger, filter, return line, everything) setup from a late model F-150 or '95 Bronco with appr. same tank depth (obviously modify for depth) and drop that in my old style NWMP 24 gal tank?

Who's done anything similar and why wouldn't it work?

Bone yard's want $35-50, new hi-volume pump to feed the stroker and I'm good to go. Mount it and I'm gone...

thanks for input...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I did it with a 96' Explorer fuel tank. I used a 4" hole saw on my NWMP tank, and bolted the Explorer assembly on it.

Mark

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the stock 92 mustang in my 74 and the stock 2000 explorer in my 76, that's the only way I would go. No need to fool with all that other stuff unless you just want to.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks for the feedback on this... didn't know about the Exploders having the bolt down flange already as that saves the only real hassle of adapting it.

Curious- how deep is the Exploder fuel tank? I figure I'll have to modify it for depth but just wondering...

ransil

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the feedback on this... didn't know about the Exploders having the bolt down flange already as that saves the only real hassle of adapting it.

Curious- how deep is the Exploder fuel tank? I figure I'll have to modify it for depth but just wondering...

its close to an aftermarket tank depth, looks easy to make fit

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I had the mounting ring from an '88 tank brazed onto the top of a rear eB tank. Then I bent the '88 tubes slightly and got a perfect fit. But the truck got mothballed for several years, and it all turned to varnish before I could find out how it worked. Eventually, I had to do all external pumps.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So the point to Steve83's story is to get it done... NOW! : )

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I built up my own tank and used the pump and flange off of the explorer as well. Think that it was a 97 explorer V8. I cut out the mounting flange and welded it to the top of the tank and it has worked out really well so far with no issues what so ever from day one. My tank came out to like 18 gallons or so and that is good enough for me. ;D

maup

I did it with a 96' Explorer fuel tank. I used a 4" hole saw on my NWMP tank, and bolted the Explorer assembly on it.

Mark

How exactly did you bolt it bolt up? Did you have to weld a flange onto the tank or make some type of adapter flange? I found a brand new assembly on rockauto.com for about $140, Advance wanted $240...not as cheap as the $50 ebay one though!

Anybody have a picture of the top of a stock fuel tank? I haven't dropped mine yet...

maup

also - did you have to plug in the tank pressure to anything? did the PCM require this signal?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I just picked up a '97-8 Exploder tank and it's 1" shorter than my NWMP tank. Will wait till my high flow Mustang pumps come in before I do any mod's as I believe it will hang down 1" farther with the stock filter "sock" and hopefully that will keep mod's to a minimum. Still have to drop my tank to weld the Exploder flange on...least I can get parts for the Exploder pickup down the road...

NEW TWIST...did any of you put in some kind of small baffle or anything to trap fuel from sloshing away from the pickup sock? Still haven't decided if I want to take part of the top off my tank for this...

Lot's to do as I'm going EDIS also...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
How exactly did you bolt it bolt up? Did you have to weld a flange onto the tank or make some type of adapter flange? I found a brand new assembly on rockauto.com for about $140, Advance wanted $240...not as cheap as the $50 ebay one though!

Anybody have a picture of the top of a stock fuel tank? I haven't dropped mine yet...

I cut the flange off the top of the Explorer tank and bolted it to the top of my NWMP tank. I cut a hole in my tank with a hole saw. I kept the stock fuel sender and removed the one off the Explorer assembly. I did use a baffle or any type of tray. It will draw down to about 1-2 gals. before it starts to suck air. Every time I'm out on the trail, I've always had well more than a 1/4 tank, so I'm not sure how low it will draw. I used the original fuel pick up for a spare frame mounted pump, for when my in-tank pump finally dies.

Mark

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Im going to jig saw in the actual tank around the outside of the Exploder pick up assbly and weld that to my tank for a good seal.. Then the removable bolt down part of the assbly will be easily repairable and give me access to the pump.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thats why I went used so I'd have the part of the tank that the fuel pump/return/sender bolts to.