• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Throttle Body Cleaning

Bferrari

I am in the process of getting my parts cleaned up for my EFI conversion and noticed a sticker on the explorer tb that says "Do not clean inside throttle body or adjust hard stop screw. Special coating on throttle plate and bore." Mine has build-up in it ... what can I do? Has anyone else encountered this?

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 40

mjramacher

I just had to clean the one in my 01 Tahoe it was real dirty I used a throttle body spray cleaner and a small brush I picked it up at autozone it worked pretty well

ransil

Bronco Guru
I always use a parts washer with mineral spirits in it or the spray that says safe for EFI or something like that. There is a coating on the aluminum you do not want to remove.

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Does anyone know what it is coated with? Is the coating something that can be reapplied?

yakelys69

My guess is Teflon. Only based on the advertisement on some sites states that the CRC 05078 Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner is Safe on Teflon coated throttle bodies. Im changing mine over to a 65mm and cleaned it with diesel like the other parts. Would be cool if I could spray some teflon coating in it but know nothing about that process.

mjramacher

no my Tahoe does not have a sticker on it I used the crc stuff also but I don't know if it would take the coating off it does not say anything on the back of the can that it would take a Teflon coating off.

yakelys69

don't know or endorse any of these sites but a quick google search shows me many sites saying that its safe on Teflon coated throttle bodies including lol sears %).

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

So my next search for only the term "Teflon coated throttle bodies" returned seafoamsales also uses the phrase. Why not? if it works for my eggs on med-heigh don't see why it wouldn't help for a throttle body?

http://seafoamsales.com/can-deep-creep-be-used-for-cleaning-throttle-bodies/

yakelys69

Don't know and perhaps ford used something else. Someone must know? or at least know if teflon would be an acceptable substitute.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm following this as my tb and maf are both cruded up with New England salt corrosion. I would think any Teflon coating is long plowed to the side of the road. It'd prefer to not have to send both out for rebuilding. The outsides are easy enough to buff clean with a wire wheel, the inside are so rough it can't be good for air flow,

Thx

Hank

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Throttle body cleaner sold in auto parts stores is safe. Or check with a local garage and ask what they use.