• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI TPS setting need some major help?????

NORK2BG

Ran self test came back with tps setting

code 22, 41, 35, 53, 54, 57, 81, 82, 83, 85 ran out of time may be more

TPS circuit above maximum 4.5 volts. X TPS circuit has intermittently failed above maximum 4.5 volts.

checked volts and it is 4.98 to 5.01 closed to full open checked at the green wire and grounded the other on multimeater. Have replaced the tps and samething.

New motor, ryans harness, a9l computer manual trans

could I have a bad computer the motor runns but rich and after it warms up it will not start again till it cools down. When you do try to start it after it is warm it is rich and blows out the tail pipe. I need some help need to have it up and running by the 40th may 3

OP
OP
N

NORK2BG

Ryans harness only has 1 ground and it is grounded, plus body to fram, fram to motor, and motor to body. I'm really stumped thinking the computer might be bad how can you tell.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can disregard 81, 82, and 85. Those are all normal for Ryan's harness unless you got the option with the resistors for the EGR stuff. I always get those and 84, not 83. 83 is for a hign speed electric fan circuit failure.

22 is BARO out of range, 41 is HEGO lean, 35 is EGR valve position sensor, 53 is TPS above max voltage, 54 is ACT open circuit.

57 is octane adjust service pin in use / circuit grounded. That one is slightly weird. You have a couple of codes that indicate a problem with a ground, or possibly with the signal return wire that they all share.

Erase the CM codes and then read the codes again. Hopefully someone who knows more about how the harness is actually put together will respond.

OP
OP
N

NORK2BG

I think I have a ground problem. I have the harness grounded, body to motor, motor to fram and fram to body. I will check today but I think all my sensors are reading 5.00 volts. I know for sure the TPS is reading 4.98 volts with no adjustment when I press on the gas open or closed. It is driving me up the wall all I wnat to do is drive it and have some fun it's been a year.

Thank You all for your input

OP
OP
N

NORK2BG

Cleared codes ran test got code 22, 35, 51, 53, 54, 67 and 81, 82, 84, 85

I dont get it tested ECT, TPS and they are both 4.98 to 5.01 volts

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
5.0 is full potential voltage for all of the sensors. It is acting like the common signal return is grounded somewhere in the harness or computer. I believe that could cause full voltage across all of the sensors. Do you have a spare EEC to plug in for a test? That would narrow it down between the computer and the harness.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
NORK2BG said:
I think I have a ground problem. I have the harness grounded, body to motor, motor to fram and fram to body. I will check today but I think all my sensors are reading 5.00 volts. I know for sure the TPS is reading 4.98 volts with no adjustment when I press on the gas open or closed. It is driving me up the wall all I wnat to do is drive it and have some fun it's been a year.

Thank You all for your input
It's not clear in your answer. Is all this grounded to the battery?
Tom

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I agree with Past_Miner. I'd bet on harness problems. The sensors that generated codes 35, 51, 53, 54, 67 on your list all have the signal return wire (pin 46 on the ECU) in common. I would expect codes 81, 82, 84, 85 on Ryan's harness. Code 22 is MAP/BP sensor out of self test range. I would start troubleshooting there. Disconnect the computer. Switch the ignition to run. Disconnect the MAF connector. You should see 12 volts at pin 1 (red wire). You should also see 12 volts at pins 37 and 57 on the ECU connector (red wires).

While the ECU is disconnected, measure resistance between pin 46 and chassis ground. It should be open. If not, wires got crossed in the harness.

With the ECU plugged in and the key on, you should see about 0.1 volts between the signal return wire and chassis ground. You can check that at the self-test connector. There are two rows of pins on the self-test connector, a row of 4 and a row of 2. It's one of those on the row of 2. I don't know what colors Ryan used, on a stock '93 Mustang harness it would be grey/red.

OP
OP
N

NORK2BG

I had a buddy come over a double check my work and the harness, everything came back to the computer. So the next day I went to Pick n Pull and got a new computer to see if that was the problem. The only problem with the computer I got from there was it is a Speed D computer and I needed a Mass Air. Knowing this, all I was after was checking if it was a computer thing or something else. Well slid in the new computer turned key on checked the sensors and they were good as gold TPS .98 We guess the computer got zapped somehow and all the grounds gor crossed and were reading 4.90 volts to 5.03 volts, NOT GOOD. Ordered a new computer from NAPA and it comes in tomorrow. Thank You for your help. will post when I out in the new computer.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to hear you found the problem. I have an A9S that "worked perfectly when it was removed" in my spare parts box. It does work, just not like it should. It happens.

Good luck

OP
OP
N

NORK2BG

Well installed new computer ran self test code 81, 82, 84, 85 all ok but I also got code 22 (MAP/BP sensor out of self test range) will replace with a new one this weekend.