• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI troubles, FIXED!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Just wanted to share some BS I have been dealing with for a few years off and on. I installed my EFI probably five years ago. I am using a 88 mustang 5.0 HO engine with explorer upper and lower, explorer TB, Ryans harness etc.

Anyway, I had a major problem that I had trouble for the longest time last year. Finally figured out that my driveability issues were due to crappy rubber vacuum plugs that had degraded in a very short time. Hell even the extras I had in the tool box degraded and they weren't on the engine. They looked fine but when you squeezed them, they looked like swiss cheese. So I switched to the vinyl style and fixed that problem;D One problem I couldn't get a handle on was this intermittent shudder, almost a shut down but not quite when I was driving. Just in the last few days I got new seats and new three point belts installed so I took her for a spin. I started having an idle issue when started and I also noticed that it was really missing pretty badly after driving it around town. I cleaned the IAB and it helped some but not quite enough. So I get out the carb cleaner and starting squirting everything and found I had a vacuum leak around what? The IAB. Needed a little torque on the bottom bolt and that fixed some of my wierd idle.

I had always suspected that my intermittent shudder/shutdown was an electrical problem but could never find it. But ignoring those thoughts, I started with running codes and got nothing out of the ordinary:mad: So I got under the hood and started doing the "shake" test on all the connectors and nothing happened%)

So I shut the rig down and kept looking at connectors, tried a few more and went to start the rig and what? The bronco wouldn't start! I could hear the fuel pump crank and the engine would crank over.Had the wife come down and try cranking the rig while I kept trying wires. Finally I grab the main connector at the dizzy and bam! she cranked right up!:) So I am guessing that as I was running around town or down the road, it would short and start cutting out.

So I tried to get the connector apart with no love%) So how does one of the connectors come apart? The good news is my missing with the connector, it seems to have fixed the problem but I probably need to still take it apart. Anyway, I drove it around tonight and not one hiccup! Yeah! She idles good, has a great power etc.

Just wanted to throw this out, in hopes it might help someone out.

And of course I am hoping someone will throw me a bone and tell me how to take the connector apart.

Ben

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Woohoo! Another issue fixed. Ok, well it's "almost" fixed and you can smell the roses from here.
I'm not sure about the TFI connector, but Ryan has some tech info on removing connectors on his site. He's got the two sites now too. RJM Technologies and Ford Fuel Injection. In case you didn't know about that.
Take a look and see. Hopefully that light at the end of the tunnel is daylight, and not the 3:15 from Yuma!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Oh thats cool, no I wasn't aware Ryan had two sites now. I recalled someone having a "how to" about taking connectors apart but couldn't find it, on the fordfuelinjection site. Guess I need to check the other one out. Yes I was grinning ear to ear today, tearing around town with my daughter.

Funny you mention the 3:15 to Yuma. I was giving a presentation in Nebraska a few years ago after that movie came out, and I walked in with jeans, boots and a brown sport coat. The guy about shit and thought I was Russel Crowe. Then about a month later I was told the same thing. Wierd as I don't get that alot.

Ben

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Hey thanks! I drove it today and she is still running great! One of these days I really need to find someone locally to put it on a dyno and tune it the right way. I don't think it way off, but I do worry about maybe I am not getting all the power out of the setup.

And I have the mustang motor with the explorer upper and lower, explorer TB with the mustang mass air meter A9P EEC. Engine has low miles for a stock motor at around 15K or so? Not sure it makes a difference but I ran all the components in a straight line and the sample tube from the air filter to the meter has maybe 4 inches and then another 4 inches from the meter to the TB.

Ben

Ben