• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Elect engine fan?

latrucker

Contributor
Thinking of removing my manual engine fan and replacing with an electric two speed fan. Wild horses offers a 17" Derale fan that claims 2400 cfm on high speed, which should be sufficient. Has anyone run this fan or one with comparable cfm? Let me know how it is working out, I'd like some feed back before I make the switch. I know clearance wont be an issue just want to make sure it will be enough to keep the engine cool.

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
There is a ton of information in the forum about this subject. I have been researching the same thing. Many say stick to the OEM style mech fan, some switch to tarus fans with significant cooling power and a big electrical draw, and others like trhe mech fan with a clutch. I think its a trial and error thing and might be sort of a personal preference.
Here is MY short version of what I have learned through searching - Electric can leave you stranded if it burns up, shorts, etc and can't be run underwater, but you can switch it on while the truck if off if you over heat and drop temps enough to limp it home. Also don't take the CFM ratings literally as they are rated assuming there is no resistance - like open air. Once you put em behind the radiator the numbers drop a bunch. Mech. runs all the time and supposedly robs the engine of potential power and might inhibit cooling at high speeds. Clutch fan will fix the high speed issue with mech. fans as it will turn off allowing more air flow at speed.
Another thing to consider is the shroud and fan placement within the shroud.

I don't have any experience with the Derale fan your asking about but would be interested in what others say. I'm going to try the electric fan route first myself and resort to other means of cooling/fans if this proves unsuccessful.

good luck!

crankman

I dont have a electric fan but was curious if your having overheating issues to begin with. Or just wanting to try another way (which is totally fine). I am in the group if it aint broke dont mess with it. My 6 blade fan will pull your shirt and hold it on the rad if your standing there close

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I dont have a electric fan but was curious if your having overheating issues to begin with. Or just wanting to try another way (which is totally fine). I am in the group if it aint broke dont mess with it. My 6 blade fan will pull your shirt and hold it on the rad if your standing there close

No overheating issues, runs 195 all day. Just like the idea of having an electric fan. Quieter, more power and better fuel economy. Really would like to do this but would like to hear from someone who has used the Derale 17" first. It's reasonably priced and looks super easy to install. Maybe someone will chime in and solve this mystery for us.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
electric fans are not usually able to move as much air and they do fail from time to time. The only reason I would ever run one would be if I just couldnt make a another option work. I have a six blade fan and a fan clutch and there was definately a difference in low end grunt when the clutch went in over the direct driven fan. An electric fan just spreads out the poer draw a little. no matter what the makers say it takes more engine power to move the same amount of air with the elctric fan over the coupled fan.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
This ain't lookin so good. Really thought I would get more "go for it will be fine" responses. Gyrhed, which clutch are you using. That might be another option instead of electric. Not so worried about the reliability of an electric as much as the cooling ability. Would hate to go through the expense and time to find out it won't keep my engine cool enough on these miserably hot Louisiana summer days. Still got my fingers crossed that someone that is running a 17" Derale and loves it will chime in. Thanks for all the responses so far.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
The Taurus 3.8 electric fan is a great alternative. I run one and it definitely moves a lot of air. It's a two speed fan, but I have yet to need high speed. You can usually pick them up at the junk yard for about $30. I have three spares sitting in my garage.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have run the Derale at WH. In the worst situations (ie central Florida in August) it couldn't quite keep up. It would also slowly creep up out on the highway. It would get around 220°F which is hot for a truck that runs 180°F everywhere else.
I eventually went with a Jegs mechanical nylon fan. Moves tons of air, real cheap, and super light. Never gets warm at all anymore. Stays 180°F or less. But as they say your results may vary.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried to use one of the high-end Flowcooler electrics with integrated shroud (Black Magic or some kind of name like that) It was rated at 3600 CFM if I recall correctly and was a total bust. It was especially bad at highway speeds and the engine would overheat pretty quickly. An expensive mistake.

I went to an oversized 7-blade fixed pitch fan on a clutch (and a custom shroud to match) ...been happy with that for years now.

hotrod351

im in arizona with high temps in the summer. id never completely depend on a electric fan only. i have one as a pusher on my willys jeep with a 350 sbc. if i run one on my bronco, and i have a couple laying around, id use it only as a pusher to add to the cooling.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Well...not what I wanted to hear but it is what I needed to hear. Scratching the electric fan idea and going with a clutch. Anyone have any part numbers on a particular clutch that works well? Better safe than sorry and glad I found out out here than on the interstate with my brand new 331 stroker. Thanks for the input!!

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
electric fans are not usually able to move as much air and they do fail from time to time. The only reason I would ever run one would be if I just couldnt make a another option work. I have a six blade fan and a fan clutch and there was definately a difference in low end grunt when the clutch went in over the direct driven fan. An electric fan just spreads out the poer draw a little. no matter what the makers say it takes more engine power to move the same amount of air with the elctric fan over the coupled fan.

What clutch and fan are you running?