• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Elect fuel pump, reg, Opinions/HELP (non efi)

MiamiMuffDiver

Loc.
Miami
Alright guys i need your expertise on this.

My truck dosent start up the quickest durning cold starts (i live in miami, do by cold start you know what i mean) i usually gotta pump the gas about 5-10 times and hold the throttle down to get her started. And i feel like the manual choke does not make a difference weather i have it in or out. other than that she starts right up when warm and drives like a dream.

anyways, i figured and electric pump with regulator would resolve that issue, am i right? If so, i know to run a relay off the ign switch, but do i run it to the "ON" position? ( wont that flood the carb?)

what do you guys recommend? im 80% its that shes starving for fuel on the initial start up.....

should i got that electric pump/reg route or?? does my carb need tunning?? any advice would help thanks guys!!

By the way my set up is:
302-alum intake, edlelbrock 4bbl, long tubeheaders, pertronix ign.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably more of a tuning issue than anything else. I would check to see if your accelerator pump is working when its cold. I see you have a edelbrock carb check your float level if its to low fuel will not get into the accelerator pump and it will cause hard starting.
As for a electric pump I like the carter P4070 no regulator needed. it will not flood out the engine when the key is in the on position the float and needle seat shut fuel off. While a relay is a good idea its not really needed. I've run my pump off the igintion switch for over 30 years no issues. I do have a seperate switch wired in line to shut it off at will. Many people will also put in a inertia switch I have a few of them but have never installed it. Some people even put in oil pressure safety switches.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I had a similar setup with a Carter AFB (same as Edelbrock Performer... sort of) and had similar "cold start" issues here in Phoenix. I installed the Carter 4070 with no regulator (I did use a relay) and had the same cold start issues. No fuel in the fuel bowl. The AFB/performer has no place to leak fuel, so... where did it go?

I believe the problem is mostly caused by the new(er) fuel formulations, which are required to have a lower vapor pressure. This means the fuel evaporates more easily. I suspect the fuel was simply evaporating from my fuel bowl in the couple days between driving it.

I installed a push-button on the dash so I could run the fuel pump before starting. I turn the key to ON, push the button for a few seconds to fill the fuel bowl, then start. That resolved most of my cold start issues

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I'm with bronconaz on this one. I don't think it's your fuel pump. Do a tuneup, check your float level and accelerator pump. Make sure the choke is hooked up properly and working.

OP
OP
MiamiMuffDiver

MiamiMuffDiver

Loc.
Miami
Awesome in going to try tuneing it first, now I gotta find myself a manual for my carb. Thanks again guys, I'll keep you all posted

blubberfet

I had a similar setup with a Carter AFB (same as Edelbrock Performer... sort of) and had similar "cold start" issues here in Phoenix. I installed the Carter 4070 with no regulator (I did use a relay) and had the same cold start issues. No fuel in the fuel bowl. The AFB/performer has no place to leak fuel, so... where did it go?

I believe the problem is mostly caused by the new(er) fuel formulations, which are required to have a lower vapor pressure. This means the fuel evaporates more easily. I suspect the fuel was simply evaporating from my fuel bowl in the couple days between driving it.

I installed a push-button on the dash so I could run the fuel pump before starting. I turn the key to ON, push the button for a few seconds to fill the fuel bowl, then start. That resolved most of my cold start issues

Same problem I had. I installed a thick spacer under the Carb and it starts much faster now.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Same problem I had. I installed a thick spacer under the Carb and it starts much faster now.
Yeah, I did that too, and thought about editing my post to include that. Anything to keep the carb from heating up and causing the fuel to evaporate.