• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric fans and a 351W, need help.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know this question has been asked a lot, but I'm looking for som fresh perspective.

I have a '71 with a 351W and 4 core radiator. I have absolutely no cooling problems on the highway in hot weather but I tend to heat up too much on the trail at low speeds. And when the weather turns cold I have zero heat, regardless of what thermostat I run.

I picked up a Taurus fan this weekend for practically nothing and thought that I had the winter and trail problem beat. It turns out that I only have about 2 1/4" oc clearance between the radiator and the water pump, so the Taurus fan is about 2 times too thick to go in there.

I thought about trying to run two 12" fans across the diagonal of the radiator. The cfm ratings of both combined is barely enough. Does anyone think this will work?

I know a lot of you guys are running electric set-ups. What combinations and/or modifications did you use to make it all work? Any help would be appreciated.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
It will not cool better. You will have overheating problems. Body lift it or clearance the lower part of the fenders. I have a a cowl hood and a 1" body lift and at extremely low speeds (below 10mph) the air is forced out the cowl but not at high speeds. A shrouded mechanical is the best way to go on these things.

U

Unregistered

I have had the same problems myself. I run an agressive 351W.

I had to go to do several things:
-fiberglass hood with cutouts to allow air to flow better.
-Radiator shroud-stock
-High efficiency radiator--BC Broncos
-Mechanical fan--BC Broncos--Chuck sells an aggressive one that works well--This was the largest improvement.
-I still have to run a slim electrical pusher fan that goes between the grill and radiator support-I set this up with a thermostat. The fan only runs when it is extremely hot 90+ or during super slow wheeling.

Give Chuck a call at BC. He will get you set up.

Good Luck, Tod

todcolvin

Sorry, that last post was from me. I always forget to login after voting and taking the link back to this site.

OP
OP
Past_Miner

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help, guys. My issues aren't as centered around getting it to cool on the trails as they are getting it to warm up in the winter.

I'm going back on with the mechanical since I can't find an electric that will even come close to fitting. Oh, and I'm going back in with the giant piece of cardboard, too.

Maybe if I paint it to match....

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
If I understand you problem?:? . No heat in the winter , if you are talking about cab heating check out your 3-way control valve and make sure that water flows thu the heater coil.

If it overheats on slow trails on hot days ya need a Fixed fan by BC. Since I went to a alum radiator and a BC fan No heating problems;D

Cary

todcolvin

Getting it to heat up is my specialty--from alaska. The cardboard in front of the grill works great. Paint it flat black, I zip tie mine to the core support. Most importantly I cut out two small rectangle to allow some airfloe +/-4"x10"

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I bought a 16" puller off ebay for 45 bucks and wired it up through a Hayden thermo controller. Although I only hooked it up in the fall, I have not had any over heating problems yet. The fan is slim. I have the fan motor offset to the driver side between the water pump pully, and the crank pulley.
I guess we'll see how it runs this summer. I wouldn't be suprized if I have to go back to the mech....
good luck