• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical connectors to allow quick disconnect of the dash

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at these as well, but would need to use more since the largest is 6 pin. I don't mind that if they will handle the current. That is what I'm the most concerned about. Using these, what circuits would have to be left out? Headlights, wipers...

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I had that idea when I wired my Bronco and started out with my dash being quick-disconnect. I used the weatherpack connectors linked above and still have them in there now. As for current load, I do not run any high current circuits through anything on the dash - everything is on relays that are triggered by dash switches (headlights, etc).

As time went on and I added things my dash became less quickly-disconnectable but most everything goes through about 4 weatherpack connectors of varying sizes.

fattlarry

Loc.
St. Anthony, Idaho
Delcity.com has lots of great connectors they deutsch connectors that will connect 12 way. They have great products I bought a some wire and connectors, they work great.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Just wire the dash on the bench then just feed everything thru the firewall as you install it.
Its not like your going to remove the dash on a weekly basis and need quick connects.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I went to an Electronics store and found some connectors but the ones you are considering I like a whole lot more. Having said that, haven't had any problem with mine yet either. Good luck! I think either one will get the job done for ya.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I was thinking about doing this but couldn't get around some of the challenges related to circuit size and acceptable wire size. These older style harnesses have large circuits coming into the ignition switch and headlight switch combined with the smaller circuits used to run the instrument panel and lighting, etc. So if you were to use disconnect plugs they would need to be appropriately sized to handle the larger circuits. For example you cant open a 30amp 10ga circuit with a connector sized for 14ga wire.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a Weatherpack kit and a few of the 6 pin connectors yesterday. I cut the harness out of the Bronco last night. I will deal with the larger circuits using a different connector.

My Bronco is still in the planning stages so I'm not sure how many more times I'll need to pull the dash, but now I'll be able to easily.