• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Harness

72BEAST

Loc.
Colorado Springs,CO.
Well had a small electrical fire/smoke:-[ on the way to work this morning. No Damage really. Just a few melted wires. After it was done was able to keep going. My question is which is better the Painless wiring or the Centech. or is there some thing else I can do. Need help. Hope my wife will let me spend another 600 bucks since I just spent over $500 on a new radiator. Thanks for the Help.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
The Centech looks real easy to install ( I still need to put mine in) but the Painless fuse box looks way better IMO. The Painless wasnt available when I bought my Centech or I would have went with the Painless.

BlackHorse

72BEAST said:
I want to get something that is pretty easy.
Easy? Please define what you mean. Easy to me would be a harness that could be installed in say 3-4 hours with zero splicing. Unfortunatly such a harness does not exsist. The Cen and the Pain are both about the same on the easy scale. One other thought on the easy thing, you could just identify the problem areas and repair those. Depends on what it looks like under the dash. Good Luck!

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Centech required very little splicing. Mostly just soldering of new pins for the connectors. It really takes no electrical skill at all.

66horse

Bronco Guru
before investing in a new harness, try to see what the problem was. I had the similar thing happen. The power wire to the ignition switch shorted and slit and smoked bad. See I had jsut replaced the ignition swithc and I guess when I put it back in I did not route wires well. My point being is that was the only wire damaged and I jsut replaced that. It caused a lot of smoke and I thought I was screwed.... but I was not.

66horse

Bronco Guru
HotWheels said:
Smoking wired can be a sign of the condition of the ENTIRE harness.....

no doubt hotwheels. My point was to find out. In my case it was a clear case of a short of one wire. The wire was broken cleanly (a sign of a short) and it was in an area where I had just done some work.

Just saying in some cases a whole new harness may not be necessary, in some cases it may be. Fix accordingly, expecially if money is an issue.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
66horse said:
Just saying in some cases a whole new harness may not be necessary, in some cases it may be. Fix accordingly, expecially if money is an issue.

I have to agree with that one, these harnesses are not cheap. However, my old harness wasn't that bad and I still consider this to be one of the best upgrades I have ever done. I just don't have to consider the condition of my wiring anymore.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I totally agree. The youngest wiring harness is now what; 27 years old? I hate to see broncos burn and some here have hat that happen to them. Fix what u will and can afford. But please consider a good new harness every so ofter (25 years or so?).

Inspect your harness for burns, fusing, cracks, swelling and dry rot as part of your preventative maintenance. It could cost you more in the long run if u don't.

.02$

%)

ROKRAWL

I used the centech and wished i would have gone with the painless. the directions on the painless kit are much easier to understand.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The Painless harness is considerably more expensive than the Centech. HOWEVER, it is my understanding that the Painless does come with all NEW switches, looms, and there isn't any splicing involved. Just route and plug in. Painless is expensive, and they can be a PITA to deal with if you get the wrong person on the phone, but their product is excellent. I'm torn between the two right now (harness is next year's project) We'll see if the cheapskate in me wins over the desire to have simplicity.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
BlackHorse said:
Easy? Please define what you mean. Easy to me would be a harness that could be installed in say 3-4 hours with zero splicing. Unfortunatly such a harness does not exsist.

LOL, oh but it does exsist ;D
I've had customers intall my EFI harness in under an hour, with no splices! :eek:

And thats Fuel Injection :eek: :cool:
Just think what could be possible if the real wiring harness aftermarket actually tried. I'm not sure what all those people are being paid for, but if I could do it, they have no escuse :mad: :-X

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Ryan said:
LOL, oh but it does exsist ;D
I've had customers intall my EFI harness in under an hour, with no splices! :eek:

And thats Fuel Injection :eek: :cool:
Just think what could be possible if the real wiring harness aftermarket actually tried. I'm not sure what all those people are being paid for, but if I could do it, they have no escuse :mad: :-X

Ryan, Do you make a regular harness for a bronco?

Dan

lowndes

Loc.
Vermont
I bought my bronco with painless wires installed. I did not receive a painless manual from the previous owner. I recently left my ignition switch on "on" by mistake and fried my points and melted my ignition switch and some wires.

I was nervous about replacing the switch, because painless has different wiring colors than the stock harness. Without the manual I thought I was close to screwed. Then I went to the painless website, and with easy navigation, I download the manual. It was clear and easy to understand.

You can view the manual here . If you look at it, you'll get an idea of what you're in for.

I'm thinking of using them for the headlight harness for the .mass-buy Cibies