• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Issue/Fire Now Bronco won’t start - Need Help

Collier

Loc.
Birmingham
I just bought a 1972 Bronco. It appeared to be in pretty good shape but apparently the electrical system has issues. I already knew when I bought it that most of the gauges did not work, and that the brake lights did not work even though the headlights and turn blinkers worked. So I knew I was going to chase down some electrical problems, just didn’t realize it was going to be like this. Anyway, after having the vehicle for 36 hours, I took it out for only the second time and picked up a friend. During this 5 minute ride as we were approaching a stop sign, the headlights and radio went out. As I started cussing I noticed smoke coming out the back while my passenger noticed smoke coming out the front. About that time the car died and we coasted down the street into a parking lot. As we got out of the car and rounded the front, we noticed FLAMES under the hood.:eek: I opened the hood and found that the negative battery cable (or the insulation around the cable rather) was on fire. Fortunately that was the only thing on fire and I was able to get it out and we were able to tow it back to my house.

The next day I examined the damage and found nothing major. Obviously the negative battery cable was burned in half and needed replacing but the starter cable looked to be in poor condition as well. So in hopes for a quick fix so I could get the Bronco in the garage, I replaced the positive battery cable, the negative battery cable, and the starter cable. Put the key in the ignition and nothing. Disappointed, I pulled the battery and took it to AutoZone. The battery tested OK (625 out of 650 cold cranking amps) so I bought a new starter solenoid. Got back home and installed the new solenoid and battery. Put the key in the ignition and I hear a faint click but that is it.

I have already resigned to the fact that the wiring of the vehicle needs to be re-done and so I ordered a Painless harness for it. But before that arrives, I would like to get the Bronco running again so that when I start the re-wire, I know that it started and ran before I started replacing cables.

So, any ideas on what the problem may be? What should I check next? Suggestions? I am a neophyte so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
The only way that the neg battery can catch fire is one heck of a short in the pos cable to the selonoid in my openion. Said you have replaced both, I would take a jumper from pos side of the battery and touch the s terminal on the selonoid. (little terminal). The motor should crank. Be in nutrel and do not get cought in the fan. If it cranks another jumper from bat pos to coil positive should start the engine if you have stock ign. This is why the previous post asked what kind of a syster you have. If you do these things and it starts your problem can be in a 1000 places under the dash and switches. The best thing would be to install the harnes and it should fix all electrical problems.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If I were you I'd disconnect the battery and wait for the new harness. Trying to fix the old one is just going to cost money and time.

Welcome aboard BTW. Eight years from now you'll be looking over your small herd of Broncos and you'll remember that second fateful ride. Make sure you remind us of it then.