• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electronic Ignition

gledhillt

Can Any One Tell Me What All I Would Need To Get To Upgrade My 74 Bronco To Electronic Ignition.
Thanks For All The Help.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I6 or V8?

Lots of aftermarket options, the Pertronics being one of them. Others (like myself) chose the Ford option of upgrading to a Duraspark. I get good performance from this system, and parts are available just about anywhere.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I think the Pertronix or one like it is probably the easiest. Basically you use the stock distributor and replace the points with the Pertronix unit. This is what I have in my 74 trail rig and I am very happy with it. You can keep your old points around in case the Pertronix dies on you for some reason. You can use your old coil, but I would recommend upgrading it.

Like Steve said the Duraspark is a good system and the parts are cheap and plentiful. More to hooking it up though but not too bad.

My 76 has the Mallory MSD ignition box, Mallory coil and Mallory distributor. This is the most expensive of the 3 I listed..

The easiest is the Pertronix and the cheapest is the Duraspark, if you get the parts from a junkyard otherwise it's about the same as the Pertronix.

Good luck
Greg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As others have said it depends on what system your going to go with. I feel for the price, reliability and parts availibility you cant beat the factory dura spark setup. You'll need a new dist ($50) a ignition module (new about $25) and a new cap rotor and wires. You can use your old coil or buy a new one its up to you. If you have and good junk yards you can usually find a whole setup along with all the correct wiring last setup I got cost me $20.
Next I would chose the petronix as when it fails you can stick points back in always a good option.
I havent been sold on any of the aftermarket sytems that use a box seems they have a lot of failures considering the lower numbers of them in use but some people have no problems.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've been running the Pertronix with stock "everything else" for a year and 1/2 now with great performance and zero problems... cheap and easy, reliable.

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
I am using a durapsark dizzy with a GM H.E.I. converstion on it and it works great. Works just as good as my MSD ignition, and it is cheaper to replace parts on it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I like the HEI set-ups. I run the DUI on both broncos, but now there are cheaper versions of it. Our 66 had a pertronics but it didn't like warm temps and traffic.

gpete

Can Any One Tell Me What All I Would Need To Get To Upgrade My 74 Bronco To Electronic Ignition.
Thanks For All The Help.
I had MSD went back to points if you dont like points the petronics is easy you can switch back to points for emergencies

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Another vote for pertronix here. Running them in both my Bronco and '65 Mustang.

Avoid Mallory components like the plague. They don't last, and they do not stand behind their products at all.

gpete

Another vote for pertronix here. Running them in both my Bronco and '65 Mustang.

Avoid Mallory components like the plague. They don't last, and they do not stand behind their products at all.
First choice is petronix easy to install and switch back to points for emergencies, second would be duraspark cheaper with junk yard and parts stores components with little bit of wiring and last aftermarket units MSD, CRANE, MALORY etc, unless you have a race car and dont mind spending $200 each time a aftermarket component breaks down i would stick with the first two options