• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency Brake Assembly

Ospecial1

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
Was the emergency brake assembly made specifically for the EB or can i take a setup from another model ford and it work just as well? I am currently running 4 wheel disc conversion from TBP with a hydroboost from a 94 Mustang GT.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're talking about the pedal assembly, correct? If so I believe that while it was made similar to many others, it was EB specific in physical mounting dimensions, if not geometry-wise. Same type of brakes to work, so guessing the gearing/number of clicks is the same as on any passenger car or truck of the vintage.
But the mounting face was for a perfectly flat, almost vertical firewall. Which was not that common I don't think. Then again, maybe they made the mounting pads similar so that they could use one part in multiple vehicles.

I know some have looked at least at a limited number of other vehicles and not found anything, but that does not mean that there isn't something out there. We'd need to do a part number cross-reference I imagine.

And just FYI in case you did not know, there were two distinctly different pedal assemblies for Broncos. The '66 through '75-ish was one design, and the '76-ish and '77 was another.
Perhaps it was the change to the new larger rear brakes that dictated that, or perhaps it was an internal design change to the mechanism. Don't know.

Maybe someone has found an alternate in the meantime. But if so I don't remember reading about it here.

Good luck!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, but then there are other options than stock.
You could go to my personal favorite, the pull handle under the dash. Like old Mustangs, Toyota trucks, and probably many other vehicles as well.
Between the seat types are popular, but mounting can be finicky especially with a center console.
Mounting one under the dash is finicky too because of a lack of room.
But they're both doable.

Paul