• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Parts and EFI guru's

jamjet

Loc.
Tucson
Just got the block from the machine shop
92 Mustang motor with computer and harness (A9L)
Over time have purchased:
GT40 Heads
Mustang Cobra computer (X3M), Upper and lower intake
ZF Tranny
35 tires

Stang buddies steered me into building a Cobra motor because it had more torque and less horsepower.
93 Cobra vs stock stang - had 1.7 rockers and a different cam

I am about to build
My dilemma
Find a Cam comparable to the Cobra specs and 1.7 rockers and use with Cobra computer and 24 lbs injectors (attached it the cam specs for stock and Cobra)
Or
Use stock Cam and stock 1.6 rockers and stock computer (A9L) and 19 lbs injectors

I know that the computers are tuned for the appropriate injectors 19 vs. 24lbs
I would think the computers are also Cam specific?

I had read a thread on here where by Ryan the EFI guru had mentioned using the A9L computer with 24lbs injectors and his MAF that was calibrated for the 24 lbs injectors.
There is an article on his site that discusses the drawbacks of using MAF’s to trick the computer to allow the use of larger injectors. ( I do not know if his tricks the computer or not) . I am not advocating the use of larger injectors but I have all the parts to go either way.

I am not very knowledgeable with respect to Cams

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• Cam Specs.jpg
    Cam Specs.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 21

Phoenix0783

I've used the tweecer in the past to use all sorts of mishmash parts. It uses the service port of the eec and you can change any parameter you want.

It has a bunch of mass-air transfer functions in the program's library that you can use to match to a stock one. If it's off by a bit you just hit the 'richen' or 'lean' button and it adjusts everything to get the right range for the mass-air meter.

You can turn off the egr and whatnot and get rid of the timing that is taken out when you shift. It makes a huge different when you change the cam. I would skip the stock cam and just buy a small dual pattern crane or comp cam. The stock cam has less duration on the exhaust and with the poor flowing exhaust ports on stock ford heads they need more duration on the exhaust.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you're looking to build 300 or more hp then go with the 24's. The 19's would be near max on their duty cycle. The regular mustang cam can make more than that with good heads. It doesn't really matter which computer you use if you're gonna tune it. If you're not gonna tune it use the cobra computer.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D You would be best by calling the cam co. you want to run (Erson,crane ect) and tell them what you have and what you want it to do. The cam co. will help you out and suggest the best cam for what you want it to do good luck and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D