• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine running cool

dhendriksen

I’ve got my 1971 back from the restoration shop, and giving it a couple hundred mile shakedown before it goes back for a punchlist.

It’s the stock 302…we didn’t do any engine work other than replacing all the gaskets, having the heads checked and valve seats replaced, then all new accessories (water pump, thermostat, alternator, etc…). It has the factory 2100 carb.

As part of the restoration, it has a brand new painless wiring harness. It also has a brand new temp sending unit. It’s the factory gauges - we just cleaned them up.

The temp never gets above around 150°. What’s the best way to validate the real engine temp, and should I be concerned it’s running so cool?

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

Get an infra red thermometer and point and shoot it at the intake near your sensor.
You don't want it running cool.
What are the possibly bad things that can happen from it running cool, and how urgent is it that I get this addressed?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
There is an early and late Temp sending unit, be sure to check you got the right one.

What thermostat did they install? 180* is standard.

Lawndart's suggestion is good one to start with.
Running at the correct temperature is important to prevent carbon build-up and get good fuel economy, if there is such a thing with a Bronco?