• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine Swap Help ?

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Hey guys,<br>I need help from some of you guru's out there, I got a good deal on a 5.0 out of an 89 T-Bird. that has been re-built.<br>What all will I need for this to work with my manual three?<br>I don't know is flywheel, starter,etc. or will any of this stuff work?<br>what about the motor mounts what has to be done with this!<br>Help I'm lost on this !!!!!!<br>Thanks in advance, Jeff

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Can't help with the engine stuff, but with the electrical. Take every wire that you can possibly get and lable where it goes and where it came from, all the way to the brake lights.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Motor mounts should work, you'll run into trouble with the flywheel, but I believe (i could be wrong) you could run with the stock bronco flywheel, if you can use the stock harmonic balancer. Given the fact that it's probably got the serpentine belt, I would imagine that if you wanted to use this set-up, you'd have to change the flywheel. Depends too on what trans you're running. I'm rusty on this conversion (haven't done it only considered it), after going on and on, do a search on this on www.bronco.com. the answer should be there, I know there were some great writeups on it.<br><br>snake

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do NOT use the original Bronco flywheel on a late model engine. The balance is different. You will need a late model balance flywheel.<br><br>Same for the balancer. Keep the late model balancer on the late model engine. Early balancer on a late model engine is the wrong balance. Engine balance on a 302/5.0 changed in '81.

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
I will second that. DO NOT USE your original flywheel and balancer. They have a 28oz imbalance and the 5.0L uses a 50 oz imbalance. It would cause the engine to self distruct.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Thanks Guys,<br>I plan on using the serpentine belt drive, and I have the fly wheel with the 89 engine !<br>I don't have the wiring for the engine and the car was already sold for junk :( <br>The guy I purchased the engine from is throwing in an intake and a Carburator, so I make try and use a carb for a while. Will this work on this set up ?<br>Thanks Again guys!<br>Jeff<br>Any other tips would be appreciated !

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
Sure, I have a 5.0L with the serpentine setup and use an Edelbrock 289 intake and Performer carb. S-belt is great, use the Flex-a-lite 1517 reverse rotation fan with spacer (1.5" I think). Also the upper hose is for a 68 GTO with a 400. I don't use the air pump but do have the PS pump and AC compressor. The belt is 84.5", 6 rib belt.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You don't have to change cams. But since it is a roller cam you will need the correct distributor gear so that you don't waste the very desirable roller cam. If you get a distributor for an '85 mustang GT 5.0 you will have the correct part. This will allow you to keep the roller cam and have a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. The '85 Stang is the only year ford built carburated motors with roller cams for the 5.0.