• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Everyday driver?

tx_bronco

Loc.
Dallas, TX
Howdy folks,

I'm about to pay off my little Ford Ranger and I'm thinking about keeping it (it's reliable and can haul stuff, but is no fun) and putting a fair amount of cash into my 72 Bronco to make it an everyday driver.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has an opinion on whether this is even doable.

Right now, I've already put a fair bit into it.

I've:

Put in a remanufactured 302. It has 10k miles on it since I put it in. Runs great.

Rebuilt the tranny. No probs there.

Put in a new clutch.

Converted from front drum to front disc brakes.

Put in Power steering

Rebuilt the transfer case

Put in headers and dual exhaust

Fixed a bunch of electrical

Rebuilt the front end 3 yrs ago. It has about 7k miles on it. Handles pretty well for what it is.

Done a ton of odds and ends (new alternator, battery, hoses, belts, fuel filter, etc)

I'm thinking about doing the following:

Put in a new radiator (it does have a cooling prob in the tx summer)

Put in fuel injection (I can't get the mixture right- it blows a lot of gas out the tail pipes).

Re-route the tail pipes so it doesn't suck the exhaust in the back.

Put in AC (so I can drive it to work).

Put in all new weather stripping to make it as tight as possible.

Put in a 4 speed tranny with overdrive to make it a little better on gas.

Fix some additional electrical so that all dash knobs work.

Do some minor asthetics.

Wondered what ya'll thought of that list. Am I missing anything? I'm hoping the fuel injection and 4 speed tranny w/overdrive improves gas mileage (I know it'll never be great, but it can be better). It rides pretty well now, but I only use it for fun. I was thinking that if I could make it reliable and comfortable (as much as it can be) it'd be a fun ride. I hate the vehicles they have out today. They have no soul and you can't work on them yourself.

Anywho, wanted to get opinions and also see if there were some ways to improve gas mileage that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You're on the right track, but forget the 4 speed. For a similar amount of money and effort, get a 5 speed 3550 or 4500 or ZF5. Better all around, synchronized, and a true overdrive without sacrificing the low utility gears that the Bronc needs.

Fuel injection will make a world of difference, do it. Read Ryan's articles for Bronco Driver (they're on his website) and follow his instructions. I'll be doing it as soon as I get my suspension and cage done (hopefully by winter).

Weatherstripping makes a world of difference, good call there.

A/C is a good idea here in Texas.

You'll need to re-do the exhaust some when you swap to EFI anyhow, so do it smart. Duals really aren't necessary, the benefit isn't that terriffic with a fairly stock engine.

Remember - Keep it simple.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I am back to DD my bronco again now for the last two months. I too have lots of short and medium term plans. Putting in an NV3550 tranny and rebuilding the D20...was supposed to be tomorrow, but pushed back to next week--again, not happy. Getting the rollbar reworked to a custom cage next month. Then floorpans, paint and line-x. Have the 5.0 in the garage waiting a rebuild and the other EFI necessities (spring). So, I understand where you are coming from. It sounds like you have a realistic plan. Dont forget to get insurance that will cover the updated value since it will be more than the Blue Book. There have been a cople of threads lately about insurance. An appraisal seems like the way to go, then insure for a stated value based on the appraisal. Keep us posted on your future plans and progress. Best of luck.

John

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
I know I am in the minority here and need some more upgrades but I use my rig as a daily driver and I still have four way drums and a carberator under the hood. Mine is a refurbed 302 as well and has all the other goodies. It runs well (admittedly, I only drive it 3 miles a day) and I have no problems. Working on these things never ends and unless you are carting kids around, I would jump in that thing and drive it right now.

OP
OP
T

tx_bronco

Loc.
Dallas, TX
Gummi,

You're in Arlington? You wouldn't happen to know, or even more coincidentally, BE, the guy with a shop on Division in Arlington that has nothing but old Broncs out there, would you? I was going to talk to him about doing the stuff I can't (like the tranny swap, for example).....

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
This is my most neglected, most daily driven, most abused early bronco. This is the one that I'm having the most fun with. Primer spots, rust holes and all.

I just keep it running.

To wash it, I just hose the whole thing down. Leave everything open for it to dry. It is all stock with no lift, just a 4 barrel Holley, Edelbrock intake, Quiet PJ gear drive and headers.

Do what you want and enjoy it....... ;D

Attachments

• DSC00682web.jpg
    DSC00682web.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 76

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I daily drove my 75 for 2 years because it was all i had. No overdrive, 4:56's, a spool, no speedo, no defrost. I say go for it. I had a decent daily driver the past 3 years and am selling it to go back to daily driving a bronco. Ive come full circle.

I will say this, you need to prepare yourself for it mentally. ;D

jdevon

Loc.
Dallas Area
i would say that with the addition of AC and overcoming the engine cooling issue, you could absolutely use it as a daily driver. most mornings i see an early bronco heading down i-35 from the denton area. he doesn't have AC and the truck is mostly stock, but day in and day out he's driving it to work -- even today with a high expected near 98'.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
tx_bronco said:
Gummi,

You're in Arlington? You wouldn't happen to know, or even more coincidentally, BE, the guy with a shop on Division in Arlington that has nothing but old Broncs out there, would you? I was going to talk to him about doing the stuff I can't (like the tranny swap, for example).....

That shop is No Limits Offroad, owned by Bob Leucke and operated by Jeff Allen. Nice guys, and I don't mind buying parts from them, but their mechanics don't impress me. There's some other folks around that I'd rather have working on my rig.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
jdevon said:
i would say that with the addition of AC and overcoming the engine cooling issue, you could absolutely use it as a daily driver. most mornings i see an early bronco heading down i-35 from the denton area. he doesn't have AC and the truck is mostly stock, but day in and day out he's driving it to work -- even today with a high expected near 98'.

I daily drove mine about 100mi round trip every day for years. Cooling was never an issue, KEEP THE STOCK STUFF. It can be done, but you sweat your ass off.

That was with stock gears and 31" A/T's on it.

OP
OP
T

tx_bronco

Loc.
Dallas, TX
Gummi,

Do you have a tranny guy you trust? I have one guy I've used in downtown Dallas and he was ok, but I'd rather have someone who's familiar with working on vehicles of this kind.

any mechanic recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Forditude

Loc.
Ft. Collins
everyday driver

If you go w/ a 4-5 spd tranny, any aftermarket old style A/C unit wont fit w/ tranny. I've been driving mine daily since 93 w/ 302 2v, 3 spd, 4:11s and A/C. The things I need are 3:50s, power steering, hydro boost brakes and possibly an overdrive unit. If there are A/C units out there that will work w/ 4-5 spd trannys that would help.

Draglink

Loc.
Gloucester, VA
Three years ago I sold my cushy, plush, loaded F250 Powerstroke 4x4 becuase it had 275,000 miles(Still looked and drove perfect). I went truck shopping. I hated the idea of a truck payment, and nothing really caught my eye. Then the brainstorm, I had always wanted an EB..... I'll look around, buy one, and drive it for a year or so, or until I get tired of it. I had never owned an EB, a couple of friends had them in high school. EB's are scarce here in southeast VA. I new I wanted an V8, C4 and a later year so it would have factory power brakes and steering. I finally found a stock, rusty 76' with a 351. Mechanically it was sound, wiring was even in good shape...just rear quarters and floor pans rusty, very rusty! The first thing I did was lift it 5.5" and ad 33" BFG All Terrrains. Second thing was the body work(although it still could use a paint job... this summer???). Third was A/C(on days above 90, I wish for tinted windows). I wanted to keep the engine simple so I left it carbureted(Elderbrock Thunder series 650). Of course I'm always adding goodies here and there! My office is 15 miles from my home, plus I drive to five or ten consruction sites a day. I usually log 100+ miles a day. I love driving my EB to work, then all day during work. I log about 6-7 hours a day in my Bronco. The harsh ride, squeaks and rattles, poor gas mileage, a leak here or there are all part of the personality of the EB, I have learned to love 'em. Put all those things together with tons of horsepower, and you've got a bad ass daily driver. Go for it , and good luck! Mike

yak67

Bronco Guru
Go for it. Mine is my DD, well not at the moment, its getting rewired and power steering swapped in. Don't know how much more it will be my DD, looking to make it a little more of my fun rig, and drive it to work when needed, or when wanted, which could be daily ;D

Bronco_Chick

Mine is a daily driver too! I love it! Yes there are issues, but I figure if it's made it 30+ years it's a keeper. It has even been in an accident about a year ago. A lady rearended us at a light. She had a honda that received a bad beating. The bronco made it through escaping only with some broken welds on the tow hitch :)

Bronco's are great. We will be making our second trip down to Chico, CA from seattle in the bronco. I can't wait!!!!

Running Horse

I have a 76 bronco it has a 302 C4 in it that i drive everyday. I also have a 65 mustang fastback shelby lookalike it has a 289 4 speed. And i also have a 66 mustang fastback shelby lookalike and it also has a 289 4speed. I drive all of them daily! So it can be done!!! its a blast to drive around in them in a sea of new plastic cars! I HATE NEW CARS!!!! So get out there and have fun!!! :D

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I drive mine daily too. Even in the winter I drove it as long as there was no wet ground and saltspray. Soft top was perfectly fine all winter long I was never cold and believe me it gets a little cold here ;D . If I could add any one thing to make life easier it would be a bigger gas tank. :)

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
My son drives his daily, when it is running, but mostly daily. It has a 351 c4 33. Very drivable, he has the top off now. I plan to drive my 74 daily when I get it finished.

Running Horse

2badrotties said:
I drive mine daily too. Even in the winter I drove it as long as there was no wet ground and saltspray. Soft top was perfectly fine all winter long I was never cold and believe me it gets a little cold here ;D . If I could add any one thing to make life easier it would be a bigger gas tank. :)
YES!! YES!! go with a bigger gas tank! i got mine from wildhorses i also put in a new heater craft heater it works great ;)

Brewbro21

Mines my daily driver with a tired 302 and NV3550 I love it. It's getting a paint job right now so I haven't been able to drive it all this week, I'm stuck with my Camaro IROC with a 350 and power everything very nice but it just isn't the my Bronco.