• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5 Suspension Lift Everyday Driver

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
Jim, here is a quick one that I took right after I pulled the hardtop, before the roll bar and softtop install. The 2.5" WH suspension was fresh at this point. It has settled just a bit since then.

DSC01536.jpg

OP
OP
stokers

stokers

Loc.
Lexington, KY
Thanks for all the info. I was able to get the tires (31x10.5) on with out the lift so I may wait awhile and see how it rides as is. This site is great and everyone is a great help.

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
Yeah jdamach1, I agree, a real beauty!!!!

Thank you for the pic and info. I've made up my mind on the lift.

Jim

jbchurchill

which kit?

The "entry" one seems to be the 2.5" system 3.

Do the actual shocks make that much difference? I have two shocks per wheel right now, should I consider removing one?

thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely!
Shocks can make a huge difference, or none at all, depending on what you have and what you go to. But at the very least, reverting to one shock only can make a huge difference. Especially if the shocks you have were not designed (as in, valved) originaly as duals.
Duals just means twice as stiff if they're the wrong shock.

What other suspension mods do you have jb? It all works as a system, so many things can make an improvement. If it's an old system you have, chances are even changing out to new stuff would be an improvement, as old stuff tends to get stiff in the joints, so to speak.
Don't ask me how I know that last bit.

Paul

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Just go with the JBG superflex springs (coils and leafs: they are Deavers) and some Bilstein shocks and forget about it...its not rocket science. If you want a really nice ride and have the budget, consider some extended arms...probably the BCB ones as they can make them custom lengths and for your lift 6" should be sweet. Longer arms DO improve the ride, but you dont need arms incredibly long with only 2.5" of lift.

Also, swap out the front single shock mount for an F-250 mount, this will allow you to run a longer better quality Bilstein up front that can be rebuilt and the rate of dampening can be adjusted to help control body roll, if needed, but mostly will help to get the ride dialed in just right. Unless you put anti-sway bars on it, it will have some roll, but I think if you drive it for a few weeks, you will realize that while it may have a little roll in a hard turn that its actually very stable and will corner fairly well.

Good luck.

jbchurchill

Absolutely!
Shocks can make a huge difference, or none at all, depending on what you have and what you go to. But at the very least, reverting to one shock only can make a huge difference. Especially if the shocks you have were not designed (as in, valved) originaly as duals.
Duals just means twice as stiff if they're the wrong shock.

What other suspension mods do you have jb? It all works as a system, so many things can make an improvement. If it's an old system you have, chances are even changing out to new stuff would be an improvement, as old stuff tends to get stiff in the joints, so to speak.
Don't ask me how I know that last bit.

Paul

I bought the '73 about 7 yrs ago and it has been the way the PO made it :)
Aside from a new wiring harness, tuneups, oil, tires - I have not needed to do much. It is kind of rusty in places, but not too bad. People that know notice. Others think it is a beat-up old truck.

However, I recently got rear-ended on the freeway and came into some insurance money to fix the damage. Front-Left and Right-rear panels - it was a domino hit. Shackles on the leaf spring shifted too.

I am now thinking what to fix, replace and improve.

And one thing that my wife and kids hate is how stiff the ride is.

So I am really interested to learn that a new set of springs and coils might do the trick. Plus it sournds like I need to look at what shocks are on it.

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
With the WH system 3, 2.5" lift is it necessary to get new or adjustable trac-bar?

There seems to be a big difference in parts between the WH system 3 and the JBC 2.5 Ultra Deluxe kit. Are some of the JBC parts unnecessary just to install this mild lift?

Jim

Louie

Bronco Guru
With the WH system 3, 2.5" lift is it necessary to get new or adjustable trac-bar?

There seems to be a big difference in parts between the WH system 3 and the JBC 2.5 Ultra Deluxe kit. Are some of the JBC parts unnecessary just to install this mild lift?

Jim

The only lift I'd get from JBG is the Superflex springs from Deaver. At least it's an apples to apples comparison to WH.

I'm on my 4th WH suspension lift now (different Broncos of course) & currently running a new 2.5" lift. All I put on was f/r springs, the 14 piece bushing set, adj. track bar, and a front ext. brake hose (the back seemed long enough as is), and Bilstein shocks. It rides straight as an arrow (look...no hands!) with no bumpsteer or swaying. I love it!

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
Last question. Those that bought the WH 2 1/2" lift, did you get the ubolts and hardware that normally come with the kit or do you spend the extra and get the upgraded hardware kit for the extra money?

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
I bought the heavy duty plates and u-bolt kit from WH when I bought their 2.5" suspension kit and they are well worth the money. Do it and you will not have to worry about it any further. The plates are about double the thickness of the stock plates.

dan73

I got my deavers from American Bronco. They don't sell kits so you can get what you want. I would go 3.5 in rear and 2.5 in front if your carring any weight.