• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

excessive play in steering since added lift

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is it actual play or is it wandering. Play usually comes from worn out parts. wandering comes from needing adjustments. Do you have the right c-bushings for the lift? It could need a drop pitman or an adjustable drag link. Another place to look is the trak bar. It may need a drop bracket or adjustable trak bar.

OP
OP
hillbilly delux

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
has all, drop brackets etc........i hope i didn't booger up something while banging with a BFH to get the frozen steering links off to change the axle seals. its play........approx 1/4 turn before any movement of tires

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
where is the play coming from? Work your way down from the steering wheel to the box, and the box to the wheels looking for where the play is.

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
thats what happened to me when i went up to a 3 1/2" lift. it felt like the steering but it was more wandering than anything. after correcting with the right degree of c-bushing and adjusting my trac bar mount it went completely away.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If it's in the shaft, have someone turn the wheel and look for the play. Replace whatever part is bad.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Check your track bar bushings. Have someone move the wheel while you look at all the bushings. The Trackbar may have slack in it making it move before the tires do. If that is tight it may be your box.