• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

exhaust/e-brake cable problems

6bronco6

I tried installing my new e-brake and cable. I got from the front pedal all the way back to the adjuster. Now i can't run my cables from my rear brakes up, because my dual exhaise is in the way. PO used the mounting bracket for the e-brake to mount the driverside exhause. What do i do now? My exhause are running straight out the back, can i have them bent out the sides or do i need new pipes?

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
It's hard to know what you've got without looking at it, but can't you just put a new exhaust hanger somewhere else on the frame and weld it to your existing pipe to free up the brake adjuster?

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that the OE single exhaust had a hanger that was attached to the e-brake cable mount. Mine has been altered by the PO. Does anyone have a picture of an OE exhaust that they can post?

dpm

OP
OP

6bronco6

I could just make another mount, the only problem is the exhause itself is right in line to where my cable has to go, it will be burning the cable. Maybe the exhause is suppose to be underneath the cable? My duals are tucked up pretty high.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
The exhaust should hang from the frame instead of the body, so removing the hanger at the e-brake mount would be a good thing to do either way. It sounds like the PO was just trying to take a shortcut. The first hanger in the system is usually on the outlet side of the muffler, so it seems a little too far forward anyway. If you have a hanger near the muffler outlet, you shouldn't even need to replace it.

As for the routing of your pipes, it sounds like you're right. Normally, the exhaust goes below the e-brake lines. If your pipes are too close to the mounts you'll have to move the pipes or the mounts.

I think the best thing to do would be re-route the pipes to a more standard location. It will be easier than redesigning the e-brake system, and it should lower the temperature of your floorboards.