• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exploder water pump pulley help needed

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I need a water pump pulley to finish up my serp setup (96 Exploder). All I can find online are for the V6. Does anyone know if the pulleys are the same, or what the difference is? Ford discontinued them, and no parts store I've called or been to has them. There was another thread on this a while back, but the OP just used the one he had. If someone has one they're willing to sell let me know please. Thanks.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There should be a few junkyard rats here that could pull one for ya and sell it to you. Can you wait a few days?

Todd Z.

slims75

Loc.
Central NJ
The A/C Delco part # is 252-486. Google it there are plenty for sale. Yea I know not a Ford part but they are all made the same and just boxed different.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
The A/C Delco part # is 252-486. Google it there are plenty for sale. Yea I know not a Ford part but they are all made the same and just boxed different.

That is the pump itself....not the pulley. No one makes this particular pulley anymore. You'll have to find one used.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I can wait, but would like it as soon as possible so I can get the motor to the shop to have them break it in and tune it. If I don't have a choice, I don't have a choice though...

Anyone know of an aftermarket pulley that'll work, like from March Perf or any others? There's a few on Summit, but I just don't know if they'll work.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
That summit pulley will not work. I be the summit rep looked up a replacement pulley for your bronco, not a mountaineer/explorer pulley.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Picture isn't right but it does say 6 groove serp pulley and I still think its the wrong pulley because it should be smooth. No grooves.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Just looking at it, the center hole that would go over the clutch threads doesn't look big enough either...

I'm telling ya, the 4.0 one looks identical. I can't find any specs on them though, so I don't know if they are the same diameter. I read that the 5.0 is a 5" diameter, can someone verify that for me please. The auto parts stores seem to carry the 4.0 one so I can find one and measure it to compare.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I measured the one I have in the garage and it looks like 4.5 inches. Its still on the engine with no fan so I measured as best as I could. I need the pulley I have or I would sell it.

The summit picture also is of a V-belt pulley.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Nightstick. Did any of the local parts stores happen to have the V6 version you could look at? At least that way you could return it easily if it didn't quite line up.
I don't know if it's even remotely the same, since the entire serp setups are slightly different, but from memory, the '95 Mustang I had did look very similar to the V8 Explorer serp setup, so maybe we'll get lucky on this one and find out that Ford used some common parts off the shelf?

If you can't find it locally, then I guess it's still a waiting/guessing game for a few days.
I have to go to the junkyard in the next couple of days myself, so if I remember I'll check out the Exploders for the V6 measurements.

Paul

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Another member just sold me an OEM one. Thanks bro!

I might pick up one of the V6 ones to see if they're the same so I can pass on the info to y'all.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Hey Nightstick. Did any of the local parts stores happen to have the V6 version you could look at? At least that way you could return it easily if it didn't quite line up.
I don't know if it's even remotely the same, since the entire serp setups are slightly different, but from memory, the '95 Mustang I had did look very similar to the V8 Explorer serp setup, so maybe we'll get lucky on this one and find out that Ford used some common parts off the shelf?

If you can't find it locally, then I guess it's still a waiting/guessing game for a few days.
I have to go to the junkyard in the next couple of days myself, so if I remember I'll check out the Exploders for the V6 measurements.

Paul

Thanks Paul. If you don't get to it I will. I think a local store has one in stock so when I get the one I just bought I'll compare the two.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I'm replacing my water pump on my 98 mountaineer and snapped a couple of pics for futrure referrence.

1CD22A5F-12C3-43FD-85F3-2F24145FCC71-2789-000004919F0A5F73_zps804caa6b.jpg

E2564985-1F3F-4608-BD7D-4EE06D194DAB-2789-000004919347EC1D_zps2437e9c4.jpg