• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 302 build

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
So you have to be careful of a couple of details.
The Explorer and Mustang 5.0 SEFI uses a thicker timing gear, and no fuel pump eccentric. If you add the fuel pump eccentric from the EB on to the Explorer camshaft sprocket, then you need to machine the sprocket. If you use the EB sprocket, then you have to change the camshaft drive pin. The Explorer drive pin is too short to engage the fuel pump eccentric.

The whole Explorer vs Mustang 5.0 vs EB is all a bunch of compromises, and some very useful trivia. But the fundamental questions to @STalon89 are:

0. Do you have a power steering pump?
1. Which side do you want the lower radiator hose?
2. Are you now, or will you ever run EDIS, coil packs, and a crank trigger?
3. Do you want to be able to time the engine with a timing light?
4. Do you want to run an air conditioner compressor? (for AC, or for on board air?)

As soon as you say you want to buy a new radiator...the world is at your feet. You can spend yourself into oblivion. Aftermarket serpentine is expensive and useless. Aluminum pulleys are also expensive and useless. Drive accessory pulleys are intended to be made from steel.

If you are going to try to use the original Bronco radiator, and radiator hoses...then you constrain yourself to the 1969 Mustang 302 style accessories. (which are VERY similar to the 73-77 Bronco PS set up) The 1966 Ford Intermediate (Mustang, Fairlane, Torino, etc...) was the first year of the two groove lower crank pulley, and it changed every year until 1969. The are all the same, but a little bit different. Your Explorer 5.0 has a 50 oz-in imbalance crankshaft, and needs a 50 oz-in conversion damper in order to run the 3 bolt crankshaft pulley. They cost about $100. Just buy one. If you have Bronco pulleys, then you are all set. Do you have pulleys?

The important thing is to get the timing pointer installed on the timing cover. The conversion damper that you buy will be marked in all three Ford locations. So you are all set. Install the damper, and bring the engine to #1 TDC. mark the correct timing marks with a sharpie. Take a sander, or some paint, and obliterate the other TDC mark so that no one is ever tempted to try to use them. (don't go crazy here...)

You say you will run stock front drive, but you don't say what that means. Are you running a distributor? If so, then you need to source a oil pump drive gear that is compatible with the steel camshaft in the Explorer. Lots of mis-information on the web about this. Lots of people selling really expensive, non-solutions for this. The drive gear on your Explorer 5.0 camshaft phaser is 100% compatible with your camshaft, and is free. Just install it on your new distributor. Take the old gear off your old distributor and smash it with a hammer.

I just did an Explorer swap into my 1970 Bronco, and I'm running V-belts, factory radiator, factory hoses, and a Mustang 5.0 TFI distributor. The engine had a bad piston, but I went ahead and did a valve job, then replaced the rings, and installed new bearings, and then replaced the shortblock with another worn out 5.0 from an 89 Mustang. I went thru 4 sets of head gaskets on this project. It was a busy week. Now it's done, and I can answer questions on the internet. So do you have a specific question?

Excellent info here! Thanks for posting!