• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Swap idler pulley clearance with front crossmember - don't panic!

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
This post is for the folks that may be in the process of or have thought of doing a 96-01 Explorer 5.0L and 4R70W swap.

When I first mounted the Explorer 5.0 engine by itself on the frame I thought I would have to notch the front crossmember because it hit the idler pulley. It was a panic moment until I realized I don't even have the transmission mounted yet. So after freaking out - I patiently waited for my new Tom's crossmember. I mated the transmission to the engine, secured it to the crossmember and whatdoyaknow....it fits fine. I'm at a 4.6 degree slope down to the rear measuring from the lower intake face which seems to be what the rule of thumb is (approx 5 degrees).

So unless you are using an Explorer front dress on a different engine block or have a strange driveline angle - you shouldn't need to modify the front crossmember.

Notice the dotted line where I thought I would have to notch. Thankfully one less thing to worry about!

BTW - I am using Duff's / Lick Creek HD motor mounts that DO NOT raise the engine from stock (supposedly). 20240719_154135.jpg 20240719_154153.jpg 20240719_154126.jpg