• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI fuel pump / Airtex feedback

EBGeek

I read tons on here about fuel pump suggestions before purchasing my Airtex 8228. Some said they were great pumps, others said they were not reliable and noisy. I also heard differing reports on Carter/Bosch and factory Ford pumps, and ended up opting for the Airtex. It came with some nice insulating rubber straps, so I figured it would run nice and quiet between my rails...

As it turns out, I ended up with what I can only describe as the noisiest fuel pump I've ever heard in my life. Works like a champ, but its absolutely embarrassing to pull alongside someone with what sounds like an angry hornet the size of a small cat between my frame rails. Amazingly, it seems to get much worse after its been running for a while.

Anyway, to my original question - while I've heard others say they've had great experience with the Carter/Bosch/etc fuel pumps, I can't seem to find any actual part #'s to reference. Can someone provide a reliable (and hopefully quiet) frame mounted external fuel pump part # for me?

Thanks!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
A quiet frame mounted pump is an oxymoron I am afraid. All of the high pressure pumps will have a whine to them simply due to the nature of the beast. This is the number one reason for switching to an in tank pump... being inside the tank reduces the noise, specially when the tank is filled above the pump. Now also keep in mind if you have a metal tank, it will resonate the noise a lot more than a plastic tank like new vehicles have.... and as compared to most vehicles, the tank is no where near as close to the driver as it is in a bronco. Some of these factors you just will not be able to get around.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Anyway, to my original question - while I've heard others say they've had great experience with the Carter/Bosch/etc fuel pumps, I can't seem to find any actual part #'s to reference. Can someone provide a reliable (and hopefully quiet) frame mounted external fuel pump part # for me?

Thanks!

The OEM external pumps used by Ford were Bosch PN 69100 (available on Amazon, for example). I've used one in an OEM rubber-lined mount for the past 19 years with my EFI conversion. You can certainly hear the pump at times but I don't have any complaints about it like I seem to hear from a lot of other people.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Thanks Englewood. I know that an eventual tank swap (w/ built in pump) is in my future...I just have too many other Bronco projects on the to-do list that take precedence over that $600+ its going to require.

I have a couple of buddies that run frame mounted pumps that barely make any noise at all. Guess I'll find out what brand they're using and give it a shot in the meantime.

mtxride

Loc.
San Antonio
I've been running an Airtex E8445 on my Mustang based EFI setup. The only time I hear the pump is when it primes before starting the engine, and If I'm parked in an open parking lot, I barely hear it even then. When running, the engine drowns it out. Makes me wonder if yours is defective...

zimm

Loc.
N. Weymouth, MA
I've been running an Airtex E8445 on my Mustang based EFI setup. The only time I hear the pump is when it primes before starting the engine, and If I'm parked in an open parking lot, I barely hear it even then. When running, the engine drowns it out. Makes me wonder if yours is defective...

Me Too, no noise other than a little before start up.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

I just hung up with Airtex support. The person I spoke with had a theory that the inline fuel filter I have between the tank and the pump could be causing some resistance and subsequent noise. I put it there since the instructions I got said that the warranty would be void if there weren't a filter in place BEFORE the pump, but the tech told me the filter sock in the tank was sufficient for that purpose.

Also, he informed me the pump did have a lifetime warranty, so if it turns out its defective/failing, they'll replace it free of charge...so I suppose it was worth the call.

So, guess I'll go run my tank dry, pull out the filter and report back. Thanks all...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'm running the Airtex 8445, I only hear the pump while on the initial prime. I'm also using an inline filter between the tank and pump. Is your Explorer the return less fuel rail style? Just wondering why you're running the higher pressure fuel pump.

Mark

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Garberz, I'm pretty certain I'm not running the returnless style fuel rail...its a 96 model with fuel regulator on the rail with a return line to my tank.

I'm going to have to play dumb on it being a higher pressure pump than the E8445...do you think I'm running the wrong pump? I wonder if that's what's causing it to scream?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I don't know for certain, but there's no reason to be running that model pump with the Explorer EFI, that has the regulator on the fuel rail. It could very well be why it making so much racket. The 8228 is double the max pressure of what you need. I'd buy an 8445 pump, and keep what you have for a spare.

Mark

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

That's a pretty good idea, Garberz. I supposed its always good to have an extra of the one thing that keeps the thing running...

Spoke to Airtex again and spoke to a different tech. He explained a pump only makes pressure when its restricted, and his theory was that since the Explorer regulator/return wasn't rated for what the pump is putting out, it might not be able to properly bleed off what the pump is pushing, causing it to build up pressure and sing like a canary.

Purchasing the E8445 now...will report back with a follow up.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
That's a pretty good idea, Garberz. I supposed its always good to have an extra of the one thing that keeps the thing running...

Spoke to Airtex again and spoke to a different tech. He explained a pump only makes pressure when its restricted, and his theory was that since the Explorer regulator/return wasn't rated for what the pump is putting out, it might not be able to properly bleed off what the pump is pushing, causing it to build up pressure and sing like a canary.

Purchasing the E8445 now...will report back with a follow up.

I've used the 8445 in 4 different Bronco's, all with 96' Explorer 5.0's. None of those pumps make any noise over the idling noise of the Bronco itself. Update this thread, when you get it swapped out. I'm curious to what happens.

Mark

75azbronc

Loc.
Kaufman, Texas
Hey guys im a new member.
I too have a electric fuel pump and it makes noise at times. i just was given a 1975 bronco ranger all original.it was my grandfathers. i noticed yesterday that the mechanical is still bolted in and not by passed.truck runs great but do i need to delete it and put on a plate?ill have to check to see what electric pump it has

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

75azbronc - if you have a mechanical pump on the engine, I'm not sure why you'd have an electric pump in your system at all. Might want to check to make sure its not something else causing your noise.

If you get stuck, start a new topic and see what kind of help the guys can give you.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

As promised, I'm updating this thread with the my experience with the new pump. As Garberz recommended, I got the E8445 and I can honestly say it is quiet as a church mouse. The initial buzz when turning the key is much lower pitched than the previous (higher pressure) pump, and with the engine running, you literally can't even hear it operate.

While I had the pump out, I went ahead and removed the pre-pump inline filter as recommended by Airtex support. Not sure if that affected the noise level at all, but figured I'd mention it while I was at it.

Finally, I'm not sure if there is a proper way to bleed off the fuel line pressure on the pump before removal, but suffice it to say I got a gas bath this weekend when I removed the pressure line off the fuel pump. I hope I don't have to replace another fuel pump for a very long time...

In summary, I have a whisper quiet fuel pump with a functional spare riding shotgun. Thanks all!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
As promised, I'm updating this thread with the my experience with the new pump. As Garberz recommended, I got the E8445 and I can honestly say it is quiet as a church mouse. The initial buzz when turning the key is much lower pitched than the previous (higher pressure) pump, and with the engine running, you literally can't even hear it operate.

While I had the pump out, I went ahead and removed the pre-pump inline filter as recommended by Airtex support. Not sure if that affected the noise level at all, but figured I'd mention it while I was at it.

Finally, I'm not sure if there is a proper way to bleed off the fuel line pressure on the pump before removal, but suffice it to say I got a gas bath this weekend when I removed the pressure line off the fuel pump. I hope I don't have to replace another fuel pump for a very long time...

In summary, I have a whisper quiet fuel pump with a functional spare riding shotgun. Thanks all!

Glad it worked out, that's how they're supposed to sound!

Mark