• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer egr delete?

lagbolt

When deleting the egr on a 1997 explorer 5.0 motor can I just cap off the port on the exhaust manifold or do I have to plug the hole in the intake manifold as well? I'm using stock explorer manifolds.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From the sounds of it you have the external EGR.
For the intake you can remove the elbow (with the EGR on it) and mount the throttle body straight tot he intake. That will be a complete EGR delete, not just made non-functional.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

When deleting the EGR and mounting the throttle body straight to the intake. Which gasket do I use the metal looking one that goes in between the intake and the original 90* elbow or the paper one that is in between the throttle body and the 90* elbow?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
When deleting the EGR and mounting the throttle body straight to the intake. Which gasket do I use the metal looking one that goes in between the intake and the original 90* elbow or the paper one that is in between the throttle body and the 90* elbow?

I used the paper gasket the goes with the throttle body.

Mark

Rickb1b

OK Guys, not to hijack but I think this is relevant. What is the advantage of deleting the EGR. I have a 2000 Explorer swap I'm starting in a couple of weeks. So this is all good information.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Thanks Mark!
I deleted my EGR to get rid of the of the 90* elbow coming off of the intake to the throttle body. I was having clearance issues with my air filter tube and the hood with it running over the top of my alternator.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

2000 I believe has an internal EGR. Not external like my 97.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

So I have a new question regarding capping off the EGR on the exhaust manifold. Where I live is pretty crappy with store selection for shopping and getting parts. There for finding the right size thread to cap off the EGR port on the exhaust manifold is just not happening for me. Does anyone know the thread size so I can order one online or have any suggestions on what they have done to cap it off?

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Good idea garberz. How's it holding up? Any warpage in the carriage bolt head?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Last one I capped I used the line that was attached, crimped and folded it back and forth until it broke. Welded the end shut. Screwed it back on.

I don't think the EGR on the manifold is a common thread.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Good idea garberz. How's it holding up? Any warpage in the carriage bolt head?

It's been holding up for almost two years now, I don't think it's going anywhere. The first plug I used was two pennies, that lasted just one heat cycle. The carriage bolt was the first thing I thought of after that. A correct size ball bearing would work well also.