• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer front dress help

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
It's not necessarily the pulley that's in the wrong place, but more likely the bracket that bolts to the head. What happened to me, is that my aluminum heads were not exactly the same dimensions side to side and so my drivers side BRACKET was a little inside and so it make my PS and AC pulleys too far inside and the belt came off. First I moved it too far and that made it squeak, then with the help of a laser alignment tool I could see that I moved it too far and moved it back in and good.

BUT...

The other problem is that once this happens to a belt, it's kinda toast and is more likely to continue to either squeak or fall off just because it has been stretched in the wrong way.

Belts are cheap, so if you think you might have taken care of it, get a new one before you think you might not have.

Check your length, but this is the one I used for all accessories, including AC:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SPLYPXK/?tag=classicbroncos-20

thats prolly a good idea on the belt. it looks good but may be stretched. i cant see how it couldnt be aligned now like i said it is no more than .010 difference between them. unless there is a difference between th face of the pullies and the grooves. i wish that belt number could help me but i dont have ac so i got to hope i can still see a number on it.

thanks!

fishinman78

Contributor
I didn't really have a good flexible tape measure when I was looking for a belt so I took a length of 10 gauge automative wire and put a bit connector on one end. I routed to match the belt and then I had a helper move the tensioner to approximately half way of it's travel I then marked and cut the wire and put it together with the other side of the butt connector and installed it as a mockup belt (Never ran the engine) then I took the connectee length of wire to Napa and they used their belt measuring tool to give me the correct length belt.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I replaced the belt 3 times total with all my issues. It was bad each time after stretching.

Use thin rope or tie straps or whatever and measure. I think they come in 1/2” differences. Look on the Goodyear website.