• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer intake interest

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are people still using this setup?
I have a Lightning/Explorer set with 90 mm throttle body, billet fuel rails and 80#
injectors with a new wiring harness. Take off from my race Bronco. Not putting it in the parts for sale section as it will be at the Wild Horses swap meet. I just don’t read much about this setup anymore.
This one ran great on my 408 but had to build a new carbed motor for Pioneer class rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The intake itself is getting extremely rare. It should sell quick. There’s still a bunch of us that don’t care to run electric carbs.

Mark

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’ll be a package. I just don’t read much about them anymore.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
It's getting difficult to find any sort of EFI multiport intake for a 351W engine. Anything you have should sell easily. I have a Trick Flow R setup on my engine. When I bought it pre-Covid I ordered an extra upper, which I later sold for more than I paid for an upper/lower combo.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Lars Trick flow is what I have on my 427 race motor. Runs great. The Explorer parts don’t flow enough for a 427 and marginal for 408. Perfectly fine for 302 or 351. EFIGuy says don’t fear the big injectors.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Hey Lars Trick flow is what I have on my 427 race motor. Runs great. The Explorer parts don’t flow enough for a 427 and marginal for 408. Perfectly fine for 302 or 351. EFIGuy says don’t fear the big injectors.

Lol. I’m running 60lb Siemens Deka injectors. And now about to convert to Explorer EEC-V after 22 years running an A9L EEC-IV/EDIS.

Unless they’ve recently re-started their manufacturing TFS is out of the EFI 351W manifold business. Too bad…

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
lars, why the switch?
Thanks for asking.

After 5 decades of swearing I'd never have an automatic transmission in my hobby vehicle I'm going over to the automatic side. The NV4500 is a robust transmission and is for sure the best one I've had in 27 years of ownership, but I'm over it- just not a good match with my 408. I have a freshly rebuilt 4R70W and a 3.0 Atlas to replace my 4.3 Atlas sitting in my shop. The Explorer PCM can control the transmission natively so that's the path I'm taking.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Are people still using this setup?
I have a Lightning/Explorer set with 90 mm throttle body, billet fuel rails and 80#
injectors with a new wiring harness. Take off from my race Bronco. Not putting it in the parts for sale section as it will be at the Wild Horses swap meet. I just don’t read much about this setup anymore.
This one ran great on my 408 but had to build a new carbed motor for Pioneer class rules.

Not really talked about much as they are expensive if you find nice stuff and the computers have went way up in price do to limited availability, although you could run it with explorer electronics. The 351 gt-40 lower is a bitch to find and is expensive. The lightning tubular is also very hard to find and expensive.
My 351w lower I bought years ago for about 300 and looked like it was sitting on a lake bottom. I recently did some horse trading for the lighting tubular upper and didn't OK on it. this all is going on what is basically a warmed up lighting 5.8 motor.

If I was to buy just the upper and lower for the 5.8 locally, it would cost me around 1,800$ with the injectors, fuel rails and TB it would have been probably another 500 on top.

Good luck with the sale.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Big I use all Aeromotive parts. Fuel rails, regulator and assorted fittings. Very high quality. Just checked the injectors they are 65#. The throttle body is 70 mm which worked very well on the 408. Great idle and response. Probably too big for a mild 302.
Mark

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lars, I think you will like that 4R70W. What I run behind the 427. Handles that power easily. Winters shifter. Never did any of the tuning I’ve read about, that would make it even better I’m sure.
I have an extra TC from Hughes. We swapped it out when I put in lower axle gears. It’s yours if you want it. Only cost is coming to pick it up!

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Lars, I think you will like that 4R70W. What I run behind the 427. Handles that power easily. Winters shifter. Never did any of the tuning I’ve read about, that would make it even better I’m sure.
I have an extra TC from Hughes. We swapped it out when I put in lower axle gears. It’s yours if you want it. Only cost is coming to pick it up!

Mark, I will find a way! What is the nearest airport to you?

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Little airport where my shop is.
Ranchaero. I think CL56.