• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer rear disc brake lines

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I could not find lies for my disc, do I run hard lines to the calipers.

Attachments

• D8A5D71C-2F2E-4E95-A6A9-48DA9111E04A.jpeg
    D8A5D71C-2F2E-4E95-A6A9-48DA9111E04A.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 84

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
No, please don't. Calipers need to float or move when brakes are applied. hard lines will probably fatigue and fail after a short while.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks , did not know the rear floated. Can anyone post a pic of what they have done?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can run the Explorer rear caliper hoses if you like, and they should be available through any auto parts store for less than $10 each. That said, they do have a funky tab on the 3/8-24 inverted flare fitting, and would require you to fabricate some sort of bracket to mount them.

Alternatively, there are braided stainless aftermarket hose kit options as well, most of which would use a Ø5/8" barrel fitting on the hard line end and universal anchor bracket.

There are numerous other OEM hoses that should work as well, many with more typical barrel type fittings, keyed or not. For all practical purposes, 3/8" and 10mm banjo fittings are interchangeable.

Tobin

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can run the Explorer rear caliper hoses if you like, and they should be available through any auto parts store for less than $10 each. That said, they do have a funky tab on the 3/8-24 inverted flare fitting, and would require you to fabricate some sort of bracket to mount them.

Alternatively, there are braided stainless aftermarket hose kit options as well, most of which would use a Ø5/8" barrel fitting on the hard line end and universal anchor bracket.

There are numerous other OEM hoses that should work as well, many with more typical barrel type fittings, keyed or not. For all practical purposes, 3/8" and 10mm banjo fittings are interchangeable.

Tobin

I looked at the factory hose, i think i could weld a stud on the housing to mount the hose. Not seen any aftermarket kits or the universal anchor bracket you mention. Are you talking about universal stanless with a banjo end?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Wild Horses sells the entire Explorer rear brake kit for their axles. I'm sure that they have the hoses separate. They are likely stainless steel braids with their own mounting feature I suspect

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wild Horses sells the entire Explorer rear brake kit for their axles. I'm sure that they have the hoses separate. They are likely stainless steel braids with their own mounting feature I suspect

Will take a look

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the factory line set would work, i would just need to make tabs for the mounting, not the slickest look but very affordable

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I looked at the factory hose, i think i could weld a stud on the housing to mount the hose. Not seen any aftermarket kits or the universal anchor bracket you mention. Are you talking about universal stanless with a banjo end?

Yes, a universal stainless hose with a 3/8(10mm) banjo fitting on the caliper end and a 5/8" [16mm] barrel fitting on the other for 3/8-24 inverted flare. The barrel fitting has a groove for a retainer clip, so any sheet metal anchor bracket (generally less than 1/8" thick) with a 5/8" hole should work.

Ruff Stuff has a clamp on version (for links, but it would work on an axle tube) here.

Otherwise there are universal weld-on versions like these as well.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

We have not had the Explorer kit for a while but I do still have the hoses. (not online) #3028 in rubber or stainless $40-50 each. PM if interested or anyone can call in with the #3028 part number.

Jim

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have not had the Explorer kit for a while but I do still have the hoses. (not online) #3028 in rubber or stainless $40-50 each. PM if interested or anyone can call in with the #3028 part number.

Jim

Thanks Jim, i think i am going stock lines, they are cheap.