• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer serp a/c comp wiring Q

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
anyone here wire in the explorer two wire compressor into a one wire set up?i'm unsing a vintage air controller and they spec only one wire to turn the compressor on.
could it be wire in series with a bianary switch?
any help out there?
thanks
nick

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
One wire is 12v the other ground, most likely the one from the dash is supplying ground.

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
hmm. interesting. when i put an ohm meter to the plug, they are making contact.

thanks for the input iwlcbnu.
anyone else want to chime in?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
hmm. interesting. when i put an ohm meter to the plug, they are making contact.

thanks for the input iwlcbnu.
anyone else want to chime in?

There should be a few ohms of resistance in the coil. I have one and will go measure it.

I get about 3.2 ohms both ways through the coil. Connect one terminal to ground and the other to 12v and you'll be good. The switch could go in either line. If the VA unit is supplying the 12v to the compressor it makes sense to put the switch in that wire and just ground the other at the compressor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
10-4 thanks for checking that out.
i have the bi switch already in line elsewhere. i'll just ground the one leg and wire into the other direct from the controller.
you guys rock.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Glad this thread came along. I recently purchased a VintageAir kit from BCB. I'm going to run Explorer front serp. I spoke with VAir at length about using the factory Explorer compressor with the VAir unit. VAir said it could be done as long as the Explorer compressor is a "Fixed Displacement" unit. Does anyone know if it is?
I then spoke with Jason at BCB, and he is in development of brackets to mount their compressor to the Explorer setup. The thing I like about using the VAir/BCB compressor is that all of the hoses that come with the kit work then. The Explorer compressor has a block off the backside that are inlet and outlet of the compressor that would require some work around to plumb everything up.
Sort of a thread hijack here Nick, but have you worked thru all the issues with using a stock Explorer compressor? Also, how does the Explorer compressor compare in output to the VAir/BCB unit? VAir really talks up their compressor as being very good in comparison to any factory compressor.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Glad this thread came along. I recently purchased a VintageAir kit from BCB. I'm going to run Explorer front serp. I spoke with VAir at length about using the factory Explorer compressor with the VAir unit. VAir said it could be done as long as the Explorer compressor is a "Fixed Displacement" unit. Does anyone know if it is?
I then spoke with Jason at BCB, and he is in development of brackets to mount their compressor to the Explorer setup. The thing I like about using the VAir/BCB compressor is that all of the hoses that come with the kit work then. The Explorer compressor has a block off the backside that are inlet and outlet of the compressor that would require some work around to plumb everything up.
Sort of a thread hijack here Nick, but have you worked thru all the issues with using a stock Explorer compressor? Also, how does the Explorer compressor compare in output to the VAir/BCB unit? VAir really talks up their compressor as being very good in comparison to any factory compressor.
>>>> that's great new about Jason adapting their AC system to the explorer setup...... here's a link I found with a adapter block for the factory Ford visteon FS10 style explorer compressors,but I'm not sure the position of the outlets
would work.... http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=567.... other compressors have more choices>> http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=344 ......... here's a link with lars mounting a sanden compressor on the explorer bracket ,but he did it for on board air>>>> http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3186

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i used an adaptor from www.DocsBlocks.com to plumb the set up in. they have a variety to choose from to work with however you find it easiest for routing your hoses.
vintage turned me onto them when i told them i was planning on using the explorer compressor. the tech mentioned no concerns. we'll see how it all works when done...
it's far easier to have the compressor on the right side vs the left imop. though to not have the belt issues with that come with the v belts, i guess it's worth it..once again, we'll see.

mattt

Bronco Guru
i used an adaptor from www.DocsBlocks.com to plumb the set up in. they have a variety to choose from to work with however you find it easiest for routing your hoses.
vintage turned me onto them when i told them i was planning on using the explorer compressor. the tech mentioned no concerns. we'll see how it all works when done...
it's far easier to have the compressor on the right side vs the left imop. though to not have the belt issues with that come with the v belts, i guess it's worth it..once again, we'll see.

I'll be interested to see how it works with the Explorer compressor vs. the Sanden in the kit. Is this the first AC you've installed using the factory compressor? I've been waiting for the conversion brackets from BC, but if the stock compressor works....sounds like a winner.

I read Lars thread on NorCalBroncos.....too bad that Sanden is a different unit than the one that comes with BCB/VAir AC kit. Otherwise, I'd be on the hunt for one of those... Lars didn't mention fabricating any conversion brackets, so it must be a bolt on.

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
matt, yes this is the first i've done with the factory compressor and a first for a serpentine. i've only used the sandens in the past, so it will be interesting to see. an explorer is close to the size of a bronco wagon so i felt it was worth trying.

Goldhawg

Any update here? I'm looking to do the same thing in the future and would love to see details how this worked for you.

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i am about ready to charge the a/c up. i'll put something up for you once i'm done . it was a good bit more work to get the system plumbed being based off the left than the ones o've done on the right i'll say that.

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i charged the a/c today, went according to vintage specs and she blows ice cold air as usual. there you have it. it can be done..

Goldhawg

i charged the a/c today, went according to vintage specs and she blows ice cold air as usual. there you have it. it can be done..

Any chance of some pics? To include the doc's block and plumbing routing? TIA.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
Nice. Exactly what I am planning to do. What controller inside was used? The VA ones are just ugly and Im hoping to find something with more of a stock look to it.

OP
OP
NicksTrix

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i use the billet proline series controllers from vintage. all comes down to what your style is. not too many choices out there.