• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serpentine set up power steering delete?

IL_BRONC

Loc.
Central IL
Hi I'm looking for some advice. I have a 66 with a 302 in it.

I have everything engine wise to upgrade to the explorer serpentine set up.

I am trying to make as small of changes as possible to spread out how I spend my money and I can't afford everything I need to install the steering box yet. I also like to keep my projects small so that I can continue driving.

Basically I want a fall project but don't have a lot of money to spend.

Is there a way to install the explorer serpentine set up without the pump or maybe with the pump and do some creative plumbing until I am ready to install the steering box?

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
So which power steering box are you using? A pump is a pump so I would assume you can just plumb the new Explorer power steering to the existing box. Maybe I'm missing something.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
One option would be to run the lines from the pump to a cooler like this http://m.summitracing.com/parts/der-12213 and right back to the pump. I'm sure you can get a cheaper cooler or spend a little more now to get a real nice one so you will have it for later. Other than that I'm not sure if you could just run a shorter belt and not install the pump for now I know on my Mustang set up I can if I want to but the tensioner is,in a different location.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
So which power steering box are you using? A pump is a pump so I would assume you can just plumb the new Explorer power steering to the existing box. Maybe I'm missing something.

He doesn't have a box right now

OP
OP
I

IL_BRONC

Loc.
Central IL
He doesn't have a box right now

Right I have manual steering. I have a 76 box to install but want to rebuild it before I do.

I like the cooler idea. Seems so simple yet it was so out of reach of my brain. I was worried that without the box the pressure returning to the resevoir would be too high. Do you think the cooler would bring it down enough?

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
ah, I knew I was missing something. I just looked at mine to remind myself of the routing. If you get a shorter belt and bypass the pump, you would just need to run the belt above the tensioner instead of below.

Anyone smarter than that can speak to if this would work or not?

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I ran the f150 plastic power steering pump that's on the 300 directly from the high pressure out to the return with only like 18" of line I between no cooler or anything. Ran it that way for over a year before I finally got my 4x4x2 box in. I was worried about returning high pressure too but it didn't seem to hurt it any.

OP
OP
I

IL_BRONC

Loc.
Central IL
Izzy,

I think your idea might work. The only issue I could think of would that the belt would be on the top idler backwards/upside down. It may not make a difference since that pulley has lips on the outside edges that would most likely keep it from slipping.

66 Bronco,

Thanks that makes me feel better about the pressure. I think I will try that before I try bypassing the pump.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I would also be concerned about the groves on the smooth pulley. It could cause the belt to walk off the pulley which would be a huge issue.

Seems the best bet would be to run the line from the high to the low as others mentioned. I'm not sure I would run it directly from high to low though but rather run it through a reservoir or maybe a cooler as suggested by bad mustang. Either way, looks like you have your answer.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Find a grooved idler pulley in the junkyard and replace the smooth upper drivers side idler pulley and use a short belt.