• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need tips for removing serpentine set up from Explorer

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I found two 96-01 Explorers at one of the local junk yards and may try getting the serpentine set up from them tomorrow.

Besides needing the usual tools: fan clutch tool, harmonic balancer puller, a gallon of PB blaster etc. any other tips in getting this out of a donor Explorer?

I read through the tech articles a few times, so I know what to grab, just need some tips on getting out quickly and completely.

Do I need to remove the radiator or anything else to gain access?

I wont be taking the A/C compressor.

Thanks!

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I don't have any fast tips, I've done a few, the worst will be getting the timing cover. There are a couple of the bolts that go through the water jacket and are almost always seized. If I remember correctly just twist them off as the water pump and cover will both come off anyways. Good luck.

JSBX

Contributor
If I remember correctly you need to pull the radiator and shroud. Bring a cordless sawzall with long metal cutting blades if you have one to cut radiator hoses and other lines that may be in the way. It will save you a lot of time. Bring more tools than what you think you will need. such as pry bars and vice grips. A 1/4" cordless impact with assorted extensions, metric and standard sockets will also speed up the tear down. It has been a while since I pulled one from the U pull it yard so I am sure I am forgetting other things that might help.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Getting the radiator out of the way isn't necessary but definitely a good idea as it gives you more room to work. Timing cover is the worst. seems like 25% of the time both bolts come out and 75% of the time 1 or both upper inlet/outlet bolts break... :mad:

My best time is around 40 minutes... let me know if you top it. ;D

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help, but I rented all the tools needed got there and one of the Explorers wasn't even there and the other one was in rough shape. I got on estimate on the parts just in case and it was going to be around $200 for everything so I decided to skip it and will be PMing Sanndmann soon.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've bought a couple from him. Highly recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro