• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer upper plenum plugging

EBGeek

So I've spent a good deal of time trying to find my answer on both CB.com as well as Google, but I'm coming up blank. I've been able to find various diagrams / pictures on which ports to plug, but those all appear to be an entirely different plenum/port arrangement.

Does anyone know of a thread / diagram that shows which of my plenum ports will be needed and which ones can be plugged up?

Gonna try to post my picture via mobile, apologies if it doesn't work right...
20150711_075622_zpslz7xal80.jpg

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It depends somewhat on how your Bronco is configured. Obviously you'll need one port for the fuel pressure regulator. If you have an automatic transmission, you'll need a source for the vacuum modulator (unless you have an electronically controlled version) and if you have power brakes with a vacuum booster, you'll need a connection for that too.

The guy who modified mine got a little overzealous and plugged them all except the one for my fuel pressure regulator. I need to put a port back in so I have something to plug a vacuum gauge into/dump Seafoam into, etc.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Thanks for the reply, Todd. I'll keep one for my C4, but I was under the impression that my EFI won't require a fuel regulator, as least as I understood it from Garry/EFIGuy.

So, is there no need for any of these lines to tie into the EFI / Intake assembly?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
but I was under the impression that my EFI won't require a fuel regulator, as least as I understood it from Garry/EFIGuy.

So, is there no need for any of these lines to tie into the EFI / Intake assembly?

That may certainly be the case-I'm still old school with Mustang EFI. AFAIK, there aren't any other tie-ins needed from those lines.

Todd Z.

crawler73

On the 96 set up I'm working with there is a regulator on the rear passenger side that has a spot for a small vacuum line. Does your fuel rail not have a regulator built into it?

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
On some of my Explorer intakes I pulled all of those tubes out and drilled to proper size and threaded them for appropriate pipe thread. Allows for cleaner hose routing and can always use a port later if needed.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
On some of my Explorer intakes I pulled all of those tubes out and drilled to proper size and threaded them for appropriate pipe thread. Allows for cleaner hose routing and can always use a port later if needed.

That's what was done to mine.

Todd Z.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks for the reply, Todd. I'll keep one for my C4, but I was under the impression that my EFI won't require a fuel regulator, as least as I understood it from Garry/EFIGuy.

Yours is a 96 so you need the vacuum line hooked up to the pressure regulator on the rail. The confusion may be because you were going to run a later style system originally.

Also, no one has mentioned the PCV valve yet. You'll want to hook that up too.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Thanks to you all...had a setback today with broken water pump bolts (insert snarky comment about Ford engineering) , so I'll resume project plenum next weekend. Got some reading to do in the meantime...

6daze

These were the sizes on mine, all plugged except FPR and PCV.
fc62dc7abef7bf466167fe7c5de26e0d.jpg

Last edited:

crawler73

That makes two of us. Broke a water pump bolt and the front passenger side intake bolt. I was able to get the water pump bolt out with some work. Think I'm gonna have to drill out and heli coil the intake bolt.