• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Extended Radius Arms - Any favorites?

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Just wondering if anyone could offer some input on extended radius arms. I am looking at getting some to help correct my steering and of course for some more articulation. I think I like the James Duff ones the best but I thought I would run it by everyone. Thanks

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Since no one is saying anything I will give you my .02.<br>I think home made is the way to go. Easy to do and you get the same performance out of them. But hell thats just me.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I have seen a lot of the homemade ones. I have also seen some people lose control when they brake really hard with those things. Not sure, I think the Duff ones are sweet but a lot of $. Then again I am not married, no kids... :p

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Yeah I like making things as much as I do wheeln so it works out pretty good for me. But sometimes its not worth the pain in the ass.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
Extended arms limit up travel because they will come in contact with the frame. Chuck at BC Broncos is working on a solution to the no flex problem and it should be out in a week or so. He is using the stock radius arms instead he is modifying the axle.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
try "west coast broncos" arms.thats what i have they look very stout and work awsome with the heims.here`s their # 760-369-4126. they are not cheap but are the best (imo) arms out there.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Yeah I have seen a lot of the homemade ones. I have also seen some people lose control when they brake really hard with those things
<br><br><br>I've never seen this happen driving on an extended arm. I have seen similar problems for those runing the hinged radius arms (when forgetting to put the pin back in!), but that's totally different.<br><br>I like the idea of home made extended arms. I know of a couple guys who've made them, but haven't seen any that were the same as I'd design them.<br><br>1. Extended 12-14 inches over stock.<br>2. Make the extension rod out of 2"x3" rect. tube.<br>3. Build the caster correction into the arms.<br>4. Angle the ends of the arms so the tires won't contact them at full lock.<br>5. Mount the frame attaching points inside the frame at the back, that will allow the arms to miss the frame on full compression, but that's a huge amount of compression.<br>6. Maybe make one of the extended arms hinged as well. Or use a Johny Joint type mounting at the back. <br><br>The extended arms work a lot better at absorbing bumps during high speed driving, but the hinged arms work better at slow speed stuff.<br><br>But once you put that much work into it, it's just as easy and probably less work to use a 3 or 5 link suspension.<br>Joe

TNBronco

Loc.
Memphis TN
Im holding off 'til I find the best of the wristed and longer arms. Seems to me that 'wristing' a stock length is fine and all, however a longer arm will put less shock on the truck when running things over (ie higher angle = more force applied to frame rather than springs/shocks). Dunno, its late time to stop posting.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah but you can't everything. You lower the radius arms to keep them off the frame, you lose ground clearance. I think anything is better than the stock I have.